A quick, flavorful Vietnamese-inspired low-carb pho subs zucchini for rice noodles.
Low Carb Beef Pho
So easy, the steak is sliced thin and cooks less than a minute in the ginger-garlic beef broth. Top this with fresh lime, basil, cilantro, jalapeno and scallions and you have one tasty faux pho!
This recipe is from the Whole30 Cookbook by Melissa Hartwig, I loved how simple and flavorful this is. It takes less than thirty minutes to make, and one bowl isvery generous and satisfying.
You can see more Soup Recipes here!
Asian Beef Zoodle Soup (Whole30)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 5 cups Beef Bone Broth or Whole30-compliant beef broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium zucchini
- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain (see Tip)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced green onion Sliced jalapeño
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a spiralizer (or julienne peeler) to cut the zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands (or use a regular vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini lengthwise into thin ribbons). Add the zucchini noodles to the simmering soup and cook until just tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the sliced steak and simmer until just cooked, 30 to 60 seconds. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the toppings of your choice.