This Autumn Pasta dish is made with sauteed Brussels Sprouts in a quick meat ragu using a mix of ground turkey and hot Italian pork sausa
Pasta with Brussels Sprouts
This Pasta with Brussels Sprouts is a hearty dish for a crisp Autumn day. Serve this with sprinkled Pecorino Romano and a spoonful of part-skim ricotta on top, yum!! A few other pasta dishes you may like are Brussels Sprouts Carbonara, Fettuccini with Winter Greens and Poached Egg, and Spicy Whole Wheat Linguini with Peppers and Spicy Sausage.
I know what some of you are thinking, Brussels sprouts in pasta? YES, trust me on this, prepared right, they are delicious! My husband almost didn’t allow me to add them to his portion claiming how much he dislikes them. He put his fork in my bowl and quickly changed his mind. He claimed I cheated by adding all that garlic to them. Well whatever works : ) In fact, all throughout the meal, he raved about what a great dish this turned out to be.
Variations and Tips:
- Swap the penne for fusilli, orecchiette or rotini.
- Use gluten-free pasta instead of regular.
- Sub pork sausage for turkey or chicken sausage.
- Buy pre-shredded brussels sprouts to save time. Or use the slicing disk on your food processor to quickly shave the sprouts.
- Top with crushed red pepper for some extra spice.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
- Fall Brussels Sprout Salad
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- Spicy Pork Brussels Bowls
- Cacio e Pepe Brussels Sprouts
Penne Pasta with Brussels Sprouts In a Ragu
- 1 sweet or hot Italian pork sausage link, casing removed, crumbled
- 3/4 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 10 oz Brussels sprouts, weight after outer leaves and stems removed
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, I highly recommend Tuttoroso
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch crushed red pepper
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta, or gluten free pasta
- In a large, wide skillet, add sausage and turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage and turkey as it cooks into small pieces.
- When completely cooked through; set aside in a bowl.
- With a sharp knife, cut the Brussels sprouts into thin shreds.
- To the skillet, add 2 tsp of oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add the garlic and cook until golden (do not burn).
- Add shredded brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and sauté until tender crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes; set aside in another bowl.
- To the same skillet, add remaining 2 tsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, stirring well to coat with oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables turn golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, sausage and turkey, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 - 40 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, while sauce is simmering, put a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the water 10 minutes before the sauce is done and cook pasta al dente.
- Drain and add the pasta to the skillet and toss with the sauce.
- Add cooked brussel sprouts, toss and place in a large pasta bowl.