Autumn Penne Pasta with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts In A Light Ragu
I’m busy working on my cookbook, so I thought since I’m making this tonight, I would revive it from the archives. Trust me it’s good, and if you don’t believe me read the comments!
A hearty pasta dish for a crisp Autumn day. Pasta is tossed with sauteed brussels sprouts and a quick meat ragu made light by using lean ground turkey and just enough hot Italian pork sausage to enhance the flavor of the sauce.
I know what some of you are thinking, brussels sprouts???
Trust me on this, prepared right, they are delicious!
My husband almost didn’t allow me to add them to his portion claiming how much he dislikes them. He put his fork in my bowl of sauteed brussels sprouts and quickly changed his mind. He claimed I cheated by adding all that garlic to them. Well whatever works : )
In fact, all throughout the meal, he raved about what a great dish this turned out to be. Serve this with Pecorino Romano sprinkled on top and spoonful of part-skim ricotta on top, yum!!
Autumn Penne Pasta with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts in a Light Ragu
- 1 sweet or hot pork sausage link, casing removed, crumbled
- 3/4 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 10 oz brussels sprouts, weight after outer leaves and stems removed
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttoroso)
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch crushed red pepper
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta (brown rice pasta for gluten free)
- In a large, wide skillet, add sausage and turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage and turkey as it cooks into small pieces.
- When completely cooked through; set aside in a bowl.
- With a sharp knife, cut the brussels sprouts into thin shreds.
- To the skillet, add 2 tsp of oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add the garlic and cook until golden (do not burn).
- Add shredded brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and sauté until tender crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes; set aside in another bowl.
- To the same skillet, add remaining 2 tsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, stirring well to coat with oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables turn golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, sausage and turkey, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 – 40 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, while sauce is simmering, put a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the water 10 minutes before the sauce is done and cook pasta al dente.
- Drain and add the pasta to the skillet and toss with the sauce.
- Add cooked brussel sprouts, toss and place in a large pasta bowl.
Yield: 8 servings , Serving Size: about 1 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 326.1 calories
- Total Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 343.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 54.8g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Protein: 15.7g