This Brussels Sprouts Carbonara recipe combines a few of my favorite things – caramelized shredded brussels sprouts, pasta, and pancetta in a creamy sauce that cooks in about 15 minutes.
Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
This Brussels Sprouts Carbonara is a twist on the classic but with extra veggies. The shallot, garlic, and brussels sprouts are sautéed with the pancetta. Then, the egg, cheese, and pasta water are slowly added to make a creamy carbonara sauce. If you’d like to try my take on traditional carbonara, check out my Spaghetti Carbonara with a poached egg. And for more of my favorite super quick pasta dishes, try my Spaghetti with Sautéed Chicken and Grape Tomatoes and Pasta with Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Oil.
This Brussels Sprouts Carbonara was a hit in my house. It is so simple to make and tastes great! You can finely slice the sprouts or buy them pre-shredded or use the slicing disk on your food processor to save time. This carbonara recipe cooks quickly, so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight.
Are brussels sprouts good for you?
Yes, brussels sprouts are good for you. I. love cooking with them because they not only taste delicious but also have tons of health benefits. Brussels sprouts are low in carbs and calories but high in fiber, which means they will keep you full longer. They are also rich in antioxidants, vitamins K and C, and folate.
Brussels Sprouts Carbonara Variations & Tips:
- Swap the fusilli for orecchiette, rotini, or penne.
- Use gluten-free pasta instead of regular.
- Sub bacon for pancetta.
- Add grilled chicken for some extra protein.
- To make a vegetarian carbonara, omit the pancetta and sauté the vegetables in one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Swap the brussels sprouts for chopped asparagus.
- Buy pre-shredded brussels sprouts to save time. Or use the slicing disk on your food processor to quickly shave the sprouts.
- Top the carbonara with crushed red pepper for some extra spice.
- This recipe serves six, but you can easily halve it to serve three if you don’t want to make as much.
How To Make Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
More Quick and Easy Simple Pasta Recipes:
- One Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce (Stove Top)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Summer Cavatelli with Corn, Tomatoes and Zucchini
- Orecchiette Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli
- Angel Hair Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
- Whisk eggs, 1/2 cup of the cheese, basil and crushed red pepper if using; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, saute pancetta and shallots about 3 minutes, add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the shredded brussels sprouts, and black pepper and saute another 8 -10 minutes, until slightly caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water just before draining, then drain and add to the skillet and mix well with brussels sprouts.
- Slowly, a tablespoon at a time, add 1/4 cup of the water to the egg mixture and mix well, slowly add to pasta stirring well, add additional reserved pasta water 1/4 cup at a time as needed, stirring and finish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Serve right away.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.