Making basil oil is so simple, trust me you’ll want to drizzle it all over your chicken, fish, tomatoes, vegetables or with some crusty bread!
Basil Olive Oil
Every summer my garden is overflowing with fresh basil which we often use in tomato salad, pesto, bruschetta, or to make this simple basil oil that’s delicious on EVERYTHING!! And because it’s just 5 ingredients – extra virgin olive oil, garlic and basil, salt and crushed red pepper flakes – it’s naturally dairy-free, Whole30 approved and vegan.
One of my favorite Italian restaurants, Luigi’s, sets out basil oil on the table with a homemade focaccia that’s so good you just want to drink it! I often ask them to serve it over grilled fish or pasta and I am in heaven. I was able to easily recreate it since the ingredients are few and simple. For best results, a good quality extra virgin olive oil such as DeLallo’s is a must!
According to DeLallo, many “extra virgin” olive oils are blends of substandard olive oils and some aren’t even the Italian product they say they are. Just because an oil is bottled in a particular country, it doesn’t mean that the olives are actually grown in that country.
DeLallo Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed and guaranteed authentic made from only the finest blend of Italian olives. Because these olives come from a single country of origin (the regions of Puglia and Campagna), they deliver unmatched quality, boasting a consistency in flavor, color, texture and freshness that you can taste in every dish.
How To Make Basil Olive Oil
- Wash and dry the basil.
- Place the basil, water, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes in mini-food processor and blend.
- Add the olive oil and pulse a few times until you have a smooth sauce.
How long does basil oil keep?
It’s best to use infused oil the same day, and can be stored in the refrigerator 2 to 3 days, although the color may change.
More Basil Recipes:
- Thai Basil Chicken
- Basil Parmesan Salmon
- Baked Pesto Chicken
- Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
- Basil Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, stemmed and washed
- 1/4 cup DeLallo extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the basil, water, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes in a mini-food processor and pulse a few times. Add the olive oil and blend until you have smooth sauce.
- Use immediately or refrigerate. Flavors are even more intense the next day. Refrigerate for up to 2 to 3 days.
Recipe created in partnership with Delallo Foods, a brand I love and use in my kitchen.
Photo credit: Jess Larson