My family loves this Chicken Rice Mushroom Soup, it’s so hearty soup and and perfect when you want comfort food.
We love this any type of chicken soup in my house, Chicken Noodle Soup is a staple, and Chicken Avocado Soup is loved by all. This chicken and rice soup has also become a staple and is on constant rotation in my home on chilly nights. It was originally a make-over requested from a reader who asked me to lighten up her original recipe, which was loaded with butter and heavy cream.
Chicken and rice soup is so easy to make. The beauty of this soup is you really don’t need all the cream, because rice is a natural thickener for soups and it actually gets thicker the longer it sits (you may even need to add more water the next day before reheating to adjust the correct thickness to your taste.) I add a little sour cream at the very end to give it a touch of cream, and it’s just delicious (my husband loves it!)
How To Make Chicken Rice Mushroom Soup
More Chicken Soup Recipe You Make Enjoy
Chicken Rice Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth Swanson
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- 14 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4.5 oz long grain rice & wild rice combo I used Carolina
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft but not browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and saute another minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, brown rice and chicken thighs, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add wild rice mix along with it's seasoning packet, long grain rice and mushrooms and simmer on low, covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks, return to pot, add sour cream and more water if too thick, adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed and serve.