Coconut Obsessed Pie
I’m so excited about this pie, because, well I LOVE coconut and I LOVE pie! So after testing this out several times to get it JUST RIGHT, I’m thrilled to share this recipe!
I also love that this pie serves 8 people, for only 205 calories a slice!
The crust is made from crushed graham crackers and shredded coconut. You can use gluten-free graham crackers if you’re gluten-free, I tested it with both and they were equally delicious. The filling is easy, and all made in the blender using organic silken tofu and coconut cream. Now, if you’re thinking tofu? Think again because you’d never know it and I had the hardest time stopping at one slice. Try it and tell me what you think!
Coconut Obsessed Pie
For the coconut-graham cracker crust:
- 6 whole reduced-fat or gluten-free graham crackers, about 4 oz
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipped butter
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
For the filling:
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 12.3 oz package organic silken tofu, firm
- 1/4 cup milk of choice, I used plain unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut such as coco lopez
- 1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
- Optional topping: toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the whole graham crackers in a re-sealable plastic bag and crush with rolling pin, then measure 1 cup of crumbs and discard the rest.
- In a medium-sized bowl or a food processor, combine the graham cracker crumbs, raw sugar, 3 tbsp shredded coconut, whipped butter and 1/2 tablespoon of water; blend until it has a texture of coarse meal.
- Press into an 8-inch pie dish making the crust about 1/8-inch thick evenly all around and up the sides, evening the crumbs up to make sure there are no gaps or holes. Note: If you refrigerate the crust for 30 minutes before you bake it, this will help prevent crumbling when you want to serve it.
- Bake until the edges are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the crust cool on a wire rack, before filling.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the gelatin in 1/2 tablespoon of water in a small bowl for 5 minutes.
- Lightly mash the silken tofu with a fork and place it in the blender with the coconut cream and remaining tablespoon of shredded coconut and blend until smooth, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Heat the 1/4 cup of coconut milk beverage in the microwave 40 to 45 seconds, and mix in with the gelatin until dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the graham cracker crust and refrigerate until it sets, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Top with shaved coconut, if desired.