Crock Pot Italian Sloppy Joes
Crock Pot Italian Sloppy Joes made with Italian chicken or turkey sausage, tomatoes, peppers and onions made in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight meal.
Italian Sloppy Joe
This easy dinner recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights. If you don’t want to serve this on toast, you can have this over soft potato buns, 0r over spaghetti squash or pasta. If you want to go with the classic, use this sloppy Joe recipe. Slow cooker dinners are huge time savers! See more Slow Cooker recipes here.
I almost forgot about this recipe from the archives I posted back in 2013. I remade it and served it over toasted garlic-rubbed Italian bread finished with melted cheese.
Variations and Tips
You can double the recipe for more servings. On the stove top, simply simmer in a heavy pot for 30 to 40 minutes. For a more traditional Sloppy Joe, try this Sloppy Joe recipe. And for those of you who don’t have access to turkey or chicken sausage, you can easily make your own with this recipe, homemade turkey sausage.
I have not tried this in the Instant Pot, if you do please comment below. My favorite Slow Cooker is this Hamilton Beach Set and Forget 6 Quart Slow Cooker. I’m sure there may be others that are just as good, but I can only vouch for this one.
Crock Pot Italian Sloppy Joe
- 1 lb Italian turkey or chicken sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/3 cups crushed tomatoes, Tuttorosso
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 6 1-inch thick slices Italian Bread, from 1 large loaf (2 oz each)
- olive oil spray
- dried Italian seasoning or Parsley, to taste
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- In a medium non-stick skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks into small bits until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, rosemary and fresh cracked pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
- Prepare the garlic bread slices. Place 6 slices of the bread on a sheet pan, spray with olive oil, and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and Parmesan on each side. Spritz with a little more oil and broil about 6 inches from the heating element, until the top of bread is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes keeping an eye on it. When toasted, remove from oven and rub a garlic clove over the bread.
- Top each slice with 1/2 cup meat and add shredded mozzarella, about 2 1/2 tablespoons on each. Place back into the oven for about 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.