Warm chocolate bread pudding with chunks of dark chocolate, reserve this treat for a special occasion… Valentine’s Day perhaps?
Did you know eating chocolate gives you the same sensation you get as falling in love or being kissed. No wonder people are so addicted to chocolate! But dark chocolate can do more than just fill you with euphoria, it’s also high in antioxidants and rich in flavonol. So next time you feel guilty eating a piece of chocolate, realize you are doing something good for yourself (in moderation of course).
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light, it serves two, but you can easily double this to make four. Their recipe used Kahlua, which I left out. Always use good quality chocolate and cocoa powder to get the best results. Chop the chocolate in large pieces so you’ll have nice sized chunks to bite into.I made this the day before, then reheated in the microwave and it was perfect.
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!!
Dark Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding
- 1-3/4 cups 1.25 oz challah bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (no crust)
- 2/3 cup 1% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 1 oz dark chocolate coarsely chopped (Green & Black's 70% dark)
- 2 tbsp fat-free whipped topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove bread from oven; decrease oven temperature to 325°.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Divide half of bread mixture evenly between 2 (6-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with half of chocolate.
- Divide remaining bread mixture between ramekins; top with remaining chocolate.
- Place ramekins in an 8-inch square baking pan; add 1 inch of hot water to pan.
- Bake at 325° for 35 minutes or until set. Serve warm with 1 tablespoon whipped topping.