This light and easy chicken salad recipe made with leftover rotisserie chicken breast meat and my homemade ranch dressing. Great for lunch and meal prep!
Ranch Chicken Salad
I love keeping chicken salad on hand for easy lunch for the week. Buying a small container of the pre-made stuff is so expensive, and never as good as homemade. A few other chicken salad recipes I keep on rotation are Chicken Waldorf Salad, Chicken Salad with Avocado, Chicken Salad with Lemon and Dill and Cilantro Chicken Salad.
This recipe happened by accident, I had some leftover ranch dressing and some leftover chicken breast and combined the two and loved how it tasted! Serve it in a wrap, over lettuce, make a chicken melt or stuffed in a tomato or avocado!
You can also buy pre-cooked chicken, or make shredded chicken in the slow cooker by covering it with chicken broth and cooking it 4 hours on low.
Making ranch dressing from scratch is easy, you just need buttermilk which is naturally light, a little mayo and some herbs and spices.
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon fresh finely chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded boneless chicken breast, from rotisserie chicken or leftover
- In a medium bowl combine the buttermilk, mayo, chives, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, basil and black pepper and mix.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to eat.