This Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl topped with veggies and pistachios is a protein-packed breakfast that will keep you full all morning.
Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl
I love cottage cheese but don’t always want to top it with fruit. These Savory Cottage Cheese Bowls with cucumbers, bell pepper, and tomatoes are a great solution. Perfect for breakfast or snack, they are an easy way to get more protein in your day. If you’re not a fan of the taste of cottage cheese, you can use yogurt instead. For more recipes that use cottage cheese, see my High Protein Bread and Strawberry Protein Smoothie.
Cottage cheese is a great, healthy breakfast. While low in carbs and sugar, it’s very high in protein. A one-cup serving can have more than 25 grams of protein! Cottage cheese is also a good source of calcium, phosphorous, vitamin B12, and riboflavin.
What do you put in a savory cottage cheese bowl?
I fill this cottage cheese breakfast bowl with the colorful vegetables listed below and then top with pistachios for extra protein and crunch:
- Persian cucumbers
- Bell pepper
- Grape tomatoes
- Chives or scallion greens
- Leftover roasted veggies
How to Meal Prep Cottage Cheese Breakfast Bowls:
These bowls are super simple to prep ahead. Just cut your veggies and pistachios the night before and store in separate food containers. Wait on cutting the tomatoes until right before eating as they can get soggy if cut too soon. You could even cut extra vegetables, so you have enough to make bowls for the next few days.
When ready to eat, scoop cottage cheese into a bowl, cut your tomatoes, and top with vegetables, nuts, salt, and pepper.
- Use regular cucumbers or English cucumbers if you can’t find Persian.
- Sub yellow or orange bell pepper instead of red.
- Swap grape tomatoes for cherry tomatoes.
- Replace pistachios with pine nuts or almonds if you prefer.
- Use Greek yogurt if you’re not a cottage-cheese fan.
- Top with everything bagel seasoning instead of salt.
More High-Protein Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chorizo Breakfast Bowls
- Crustless Quiche Lorraine
- Meal Prep Breakfast Taco Scramble
- Strawberry Peanut Butter Swirl Smoothie Bowls
- Tex Mex Breakfast Casserole
Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl
- ¾ cup low fat cottage cheese, I like Good Culture
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or finely minced scallion greens, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup sliced Persian cucumbers
- ½ medium bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 10 halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped, roasted shelled pistachios
- Kosher salt
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon chives and pepper, to taste.
- Layer cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes on top then garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon chives and pistachios.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.