Steak & Caramelized Onions with Arugula and Pasta
Grilled steak, arugula and pasta salad is topped with sweet balsamic caramelized onions and fresh shaved Parmesan. I’m a sucker for a good steak salad, and this one is AWESOME!
This was made with lean sirloin, cooked on a grill pan, outdoor grill, or in a large skillet. The gluten-free quinoa pasta was from Tru Roots, it cooks al dente and tastes just like regular pasta. I was very impressed! If you prefer, make this with whole wheat pasta instead.
Steak & Caramelized Onions with Arugula and Penne
- 1 lb top sirloin
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 oz penne pasta, I used Tru Roots GF penne w/ quinoa, amaranth & brown rice
- 3 oz baby arugula
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp golden balsamic
- 1/2 oz shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
For the Caramelized onions:
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher coarse salt
- 1 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Season steak with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the caramelized onions: cut onions in half and thinly slice short end. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a nonstick skillet and add the onions. Add salt, paprika, and balsamic vinegar and cook on medium-low to low heat until onions are tender, transparent, and slightly brown, about 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside in a large work bowl and let cool.
- While the pasta is cooling, heat a grill pan over high heat and spray with cooking spray or preheat the broiler to high.
- Cook the steaks about 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare, or longer to your desired likeness (until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium, or 165°F for well done.)
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then slice into thin strips.
- Add the arugula, 4 teaspoons olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic, salt and pepper to the bowl with the pasta and toss.
- Add the caramelized onions, toss well and divide between four plates, about 1 1/2 cups each. Top each with 3 oz steak and shaved Parmesan. Eat right away.