Steak & Caramelized Onions with Arugula and Pasta
Grilled steak with sweet balsamic caramelized onions tossed with baby arugula, gluten-free quinoa, amaranth and brown rice penne pasta (or any pasta you like) topped with fresh shaved parmesan – I’m a sucker for a good steak salad, and this one is AWESOME!
Packed with protein, it’s made with lean sirloin, which I cooked on the grill pan, but you can cook it outside on the grill, or in a large skillet. The gluten-free quinoa pasta was from Tru Roots, it cooks al dente and tastes just like regular pasta, I was very impressed! You can also make this with whole wheat pasta if you don’t have a gluten allergy, or even toss this with farro instead.
Steak & Caramelized Onions with Arugula and Penne
Grilled steak with sweet balsamic caramelized onions tossed with baby arugula, gluten-free quinoa, amaranth and brown rice penne pasta (or any pasta you like)
- 1 lb top sirloin
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 oz penne pasta (I used Tru Roots GF penne w/ quinoa, amaranth & brown rice)
- 3 oz baby arugula
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp golden balsamic
- 1/2 oz shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
For the Caramelized onions:
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher coarse salt
- 1 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Season steak with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the caramelized onions: cut onions in half and thinly slice short end. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a nonstick skillet and add the onions. Add salt, paprika, and balsamic vinegar and cook on medium-low to low heat until onions are tender, transparent, and slightly brown, about 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside in a large work bowl and let cool.
- While the pasta is cooling, heat a grill pan over high heat and spray with cooking spray or preheat the broiler to high.
- Cook the steaks about 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare, or longer to your desired likeness (until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium, or 165°F for well done.)
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then slice into thin strips.
- Add the arugula, 4 teaspoons olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic, salt and pepper to the bowl with the pasta and toss.
- Add the caramelized onions, toss well and divide between four plates, about 1 1/2 cups each. Top each with 3 oz steak and shaved Parmesan. Eat right away.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups salad, 3 oz steak
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 9
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 384 calories
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 30g