Sweet and spicy, these juicy skinless tamarind-glazed chicken thighs are easy to make and are perfect served with crisp lettuce on the side.
If you want to make this with skinless, boneless breasts or thighs instead of bone-in meat, you can; just reduce the cooking time by five to ten minutes. From Melissa Clark’s new cookbook, Dinner: Changing the Game. Her book is filled with 200 flavorful dinner recipes, organized by main ingredient, complete with stunning photography. Great for cooks looking to step up their dinner game as she uses ingredients that may require a trip to a specialty store, such as harissa, tamarind paste, preserved lemons, etc. Luckily, you can also find everything you need on Amazon.
Sticky Tamarind Chicken with Crisp Lettuce
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon tamarind paste or concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 bone-in, skinless chicken thights, trimmed, about 5 oz each (if using boneless, 4 oz each)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Crisp lettuce leaves, such as Bibb or romaine, for serving
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, tamarind, chile flakes, lime zest, and garlic.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Add the chicken to the sauce in the bowl, and turn to coat the pieces well. Arrange the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet, and pour the sauce over it. (If you like, you can refrigerate the chicken at this point, covered, for up to 24 hours.) Roast, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through and caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes. After roasting, if you wish to brown run them under the broiler 1 or 2 minutes.
- Top the chicken with plenty of black pepper, cilantro and jalapeño slices if desired. Serve over lettuce leaves.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.