These light, pan-seared shrimp cakes are moist and tender, covered in a crisp panko crust. Serve them with a crisp green salad to make it a meal.
Similar to a crab cake, but a lot cheaper to make. I tested these out on my husband Tommy and he loved them. They are lightly seasoned with Old Bay and taste perfect with a squeeze of lemon at the end.
How To Make Shrimp Cakes
More Shrimp Recipes you might like:
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Shrimp Scampi
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
- Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, tails removed
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons whole wheat plain panko, or gluten-free
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon wedges, for serving
- hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and place in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until shrimp are finely chopped. Transfer shrimp to a medium bowl and add 3 tablespoons of panko, red onion, red pepper, celery, parsley, mayo, mustard, egg, lemon juice, old bay, garlic powder and pepper. Mix gently.
- On a small plate, combine 1 cup panko with ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop shrimp mixture and using your hands, for mixture into a 1-inch patty. Place patty on the plate with panko and evenly coat with panko mixture. With a large spatula, carefully transfer shrimp cake to a plate (you may have to re-form the cake a bit). Repeat with remaining mixture. You should end up with 8 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil is hot, add 4 patties, evenly spacing them apart. Cook for 3 minutes, carefully flip with the spatula and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Place cooked cakes on a plate, add remaining tablespoon of oil and repeat the process with the last 4 cakes.
- Place 2 shrimp cakes on 4 plates, sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce (if using).