These low-carb Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups made with my homemade Enchilada Sauce give you authentic enchilada flavor without all the work, calories or fat. And you won’t even miss the tortillas!
Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups
If you love enchiladas as much as I do, you’ll love this Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups! Chicken breasts on their own can be a bit boring. Roll ‘em up with cheese and green chilis, smother them in enchilada sauce and more cheese and now you’re talking. These Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups give you authentic enchilada flavor without all the work, calories or fat. And you won’t even miss the tortillas!
Hi. I’m Danielle, freelance recipe developer, degreed nutritionist, grocery/cooking gadget guru. I’m also the luckiest lady this side of the Mississippi because I’ve been a part of the amazing Skinnytaste team for the past few years.
As a California native, Mexican food is something we eat at least once a week. It’s tough because many (Americanized) Mexican dishes are loaded with cheese and sauce, which means calories, fat and some serious indigestion. Fine on occasion, but I wanted to create something that was lighter yet still satisfied my love of cheesy Mexican dishes. Thus, the Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups were born.
This would be great with Mexican Cauliflower “Rice” or Cilantro Lime Rice on the side. I highly recommend making the enchilada sauce from scratch for the best taste.
How To Make Chicken Enchilada Roll Ups
More enchilada recipes you might enjoy:
- Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
- Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Turkey Rellenos
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas Verdes
- Classic Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 1 10-ounce can mild red enchilada sauce (I used my homemade enchilada sauce)
- 1 ½ pounds 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilis
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large avocado, yield 6-ounces, cubed
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Rub on both sides of each chicken piece.
- Spray a small (8x6-ish) oval or rectangular baking dish with cooking spray and pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Lay chicken, cut side up on a work surface. Top each piece, in the center, with about 2 teaspoons chilis and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
- Roll each one up and set them seam side down in the baking dish. Top with remaining sauce, cheese and chilis.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake 10-15 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Top each chicken roll-up with a few avocado pieces and cilantro and serve.