Buttermilk Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken
This Buttermilk-Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken comes out unbelievably juicy and delicious. It’s so easy to make, just 3 ingredients!
A delicious, family-friendly chicken dish you’ll want to make again and again! Out of all my air fryer recipes, this one has become a weekly staple because it’s so easy. You can see more air fryer recipes here.
This Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken recipe was adapted from Samin Nosrat’s Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. It’s so good I’ve been making it weekly on those nights I don’t feel like cooking because it’s effortless. Her recipe, inspired by Southern fried chicken which is marinated overnight in buttermilk before frying, uses a whole chicken instead, no deep frying and no flour. She bakes hers in the oven, but the air fryer is so much much faster, and bonus no heating up the kitchen. The buttermilk and salt tenderizes the meat making the chicken so juicy chicken, with beautifully browned skin. Serve it alongside a simple summer tomato salad, chopped Feta salad or quick cabbage slaw.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken In An Air Fryer
- For best results marinate the chicken 24 hours.
- You’ll need an air fryer with a large enough basket to hold the chicken. I used the Skinnytaste Vremi Air Fryer which has a 5.8 quart basket.
- If you don’t have a large air fryer, you can make this recipe with on the bone chicken breast with skin. Reduce the cook time as needed.
Reasons I love air frying:
- Food comes out so much crispier than it does in my oven.
- It takes only three minutes to preheat, it doesn’t heat up the kitchen.
- It’s safer and healthier than deep frying and it doesn’t smoke up the whole house.
- The air fryer has now replaced my oven on most weekdays and nights, whether making hard boiled eggs, whipping up a side dish, heating up leftovers, or making dinner.
In fact, I love it so much I decided to partner with Vremi to brand my own air fryer with improvements from the one I previously owned with a larger basket, built-in presets to make life a bit easier, easy-to-clean PFOA-free nonstick coating, and of course, making it dishwasher safe which is how Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer and the Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook came about.
About the Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer:
DO MORE THAN FRY – You can easily fry, bake and roast using only one appliance. Our 1700W power oil-less air fryer uses hot air combined with 360° high rapid air circulation with a temperature range from 100 – 400°F to cook healthier dishes faster than with a standard oven.
DISHWASHER SAFE, NON-STICK and PFOA-FREE – The outer pot, basket and the inside of the air fryer have a black, non-stick coating for super easy cleaning. Both the outer pot and basket are dishwasher safe.
EXTRA LARGE CAPACITY – With a 5.8 QT (5.5 L) large, removable, non-stick basket, it’s large enough to cook meals for the whole family or when hosting friends. It measures 13.8 x 13.8 x 13.4 in thoughtfully designed to fit on your kitchen countertop.
DIGITAL TOUCH-SCREEN WITH 8 COOKING PRESETS – With the touch of a button, quickly select one of 8 cooking presets to easily cook french fries, pork chops, shrimp, bacon, and more. Or, set your own time and temperature when you want greater control. A built-in pre-heat function ensures the unit heats to the desired temperature before you begin to cook.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- AF Asian Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Chimichangas in the Air Fryer
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Air Fryer
Buttermilk-Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken
- 3 pound trimmed whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- 1 pint 1% buttermilk
- The day before you want to cook the chicken, season the chicken generously with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and let it sit for 30 minutes. Tightly tie together the legs of the chicken with a piece of butcher’s twine.
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl (large enough to hold the chickeand pour in the buttermilk. Cover tight and refrigerate overnight rotating the chicken half way so both sides gets marinated.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge an hour before you plan to cook it, then remove the chicken from the buttermilk shaking excess and discarding the buttermilk.
- When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer 350 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the air fryer basket (at least 5.8 quart) belly side down. Season the top of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Air fry about 25 minutes, until the top of the chicken is browned, then flip over, season the other side with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 25 minutes, until golden and crisp and brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh.
- When the chicken’s done, remove it to a platter and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
- To bake in the oven, bake 400F until golden and crisp and brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh, about 1 hour or longer if needed.