Buttermilk Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken
This Buttermilk-Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken comes out unbelievably juicy and delicious. It’s so easy to make, just 3 ingredients!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
This easy weeknight whole chicken in air fryer recipe is delicious and family-friendly! So good, you’ll want to make it again and again! Out of all my air fryer recipes, this one has become a weekly staple. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake this in the oven too, or try this Oven Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary.
This Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken recipe was adapted from Samin Nosrat’s Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat (affil link). It’s so good I’ve been making it weekly on those nights I don’t feel like cooking because it’s effortless. Her recipe, inspired by Southern fried chicken which is marinated overnight in buttermilk before frying, uses a whole chicken instead, no deep frying and no flour. She bakes hers in the oven, but the air fryer is so much much faster, and bonus no heating up the kitchen. The buttermilk and salt tenderizes the meat making the chicken so juicy chicken, with beautifully browned skin. Serve it alongside a simple summer tomato salad, chopped Feta salad or quick cabbage slaw.
How to Cook an Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken
- For best results marinate the chicken 24 hours.
- You’ll need an air fryer with a large enough basket to hold the chicken. I used the Skinnytaste Vremi Air Fryer (affil link) which has a 5.8 quart basket.
- If you don’t have a large air fryer, you can make this recipe with on the bone chicken breast with skin. Reduce the cook time as needed.
Reasons I love my air fryer:
- Food comes out so much crispier than it does in my oven.
- It takes only three minutes to preheat, it doesn’t heat up the kitchen.
- It’s safer and healthier than deep frying and it doesn’t smoke up the whole house.
- The air fryer has now replaced my oven on most weekdays and nights, whether making hard boiled eggs, whipping up a side dish, heating up leftovers, or making dinner.
In fact, I love it so much I decided to partner with Vremi to create an air fryer with improvements from the one I previously owned. With a larger basket, built-in presets to make life a bit easier, easy-to-clean PFOA-free nonstick coating, and of course, making it dishwasher safe which is how Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer and the Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook came about.
How To Make an Air Fryer Whole Chicken
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- AF Asian Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Chimichangas in the Air Fryer
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Air Fryer
Buttermilk-Marinated Air Fryer Whole Roasted Chicken
- 3 pound trimmed whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- 1 pint 1% buttermilk
- The day before you want to cook the chicken, season the chicken generously with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and let it sit for 30 minutes. Tightly tie together the legs of the chicken with a piece of butcher’s twine.
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl (large enough to hold the chickeand pour in the buttermilk. Cover tight and refrigerate overnight rotating the chicken half way so both sides gets marinated.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge an hour before you plan to cook it, then remove the chicken from the buttermilk shaking excess and discarding the buttermilk.
- When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer 350 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the air fryer basket (at least 5.8 quart) belly side down. Season the top of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Air fry about 25 minutes, until the top of the chicken is browned, then flip over, season the other side with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 25 minutes, until golden and crisp and brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh.
- When the chicken’s done, remove it to a platter and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
- To bake in the oven, bake 400F until golden and crisp and brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh, about 1 hour or longer if needed.