Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
Apple cinnamon breakfast quinoa – quinoa for breakfast you ask? Well yes, quinoa served warm, with it’s nutty taste and chewy texture, pairs beautifully with fresh crisp autumn apples, golden raisins, pecans, warm milk, vanilla and cinnamon – a delightful breakfast that is both protein packed and comforting.
You can do so much with quinoa as a breakfast like combining other fruits such as my Peaches and Berries Breakfast Quinoa Bowls, or festive with fall Pumpkin Spice Quinoa Breakfast Cookies. I also love a savory Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowl or Protein Egg and Quinoa Salad Jars for on the go.
I just love the flavor sensations from each spoonful – the sweetness of the raisins, the pop from the quinoa, and the crunch of the apple and pecans. Fresh pears and cranberries would also make a wonderful alternative to apples and raisins. If you like your cereal a little sweeter you can drizzle it with a teaspoon of honey just before eating. One bowl will keep you fueled and satisfied until lunch.
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a hunger-curbing and power-packed nutritional all-star. Loaded with satiating protein (8 grams per cup) and filling fiber (5 grams per cup), this superfood digests slowly, which keeps blood sugar and insulin levels steady. You’ll also get impressive doses of doses of thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, zinc, potassium, magnesium and selenium, along with 15 percent of your daily iron needs. No wonder the ancient Incas, who considered the crop sacred, referred to quinoa as the mother of all grains!
Be sure to rinse the quinoa well before cooking to rinse off the saponins which has a slightly bitter flavor, or you can buy it pre-rinsed. I like to warm my milk up, then pour it in right before serving. Enjoy!
Apples and Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup warmed fat-free milk for drizzling, non-dairy milk is fine
- 1 gala apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
- Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk.
- Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.