Enjoy a bowl of this warm, apple-cinnamon breakfast quinoa cereal which has golden raisins, pecans, and vanilla.
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
Quinoa is not just for salads and side dishes. It’s also great as a whole grain breakfast cereal. If you want a summer quinoa cereal, try thos Peaches and Berries Breakfast Quinoa Bowl, and if you prefer a savory breakfast you will love this Quinoa Huevos Rancheros Bowl or Protein Egg and Quinoa Salad Jars for on the go.
I just love the flavor sensations from each spoonful – the sweetness of the raisins, the pop from the quinoa, and the crunch of the apple and pecans. I pour the milk right into the bowl and mix everything together.
Fresh pears and cranberries would also make a wonderful alternative to apples and raisins. If you like your cereal a little sweeter you can drizzle it with a teaspoon of honey just before eating.
Why Quinoa For Breakfast?
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a power-packed nutritional all-star. Loaded with satiating protein (8 grams per cup) and filling fiber (5 grams per cup), this superfood digests slowly, which keeps blood sugar and insulin levels steady. You’ll also get impressive doses of doses of thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, zinc, potassium, magnesium and selenium, along with 15 percent of your daily iron needs. No wonder the ancient Incas, who considered the crop sacred, referred to quinoa as the mother of all grains!
Should you rinse quinoa?
Be sure to rinse the quinoa well before cooking to rinse off the saponins which has a slightly bitter flavor, or you can buy it pre-rinsed.
Apples and Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup warmed fat-free milk for drizzling, non-dairy milk is fine
- 1 gala apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
- Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk.
- Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.