I don’t care too much for carrots, but I love Asian ginger carrot dressing on my salad when I go out for Hibachi. This is good stuff!
Carrot Ginger Dressing Recipe
My husband Tommy loves the Japanese Carrot Ginger Salad Dressing you get at hibachi restaurants, so I decided to make it myself and it’s so easy! I served it like they do at hibachi restaurants over a simple, crisp iceberg lettuce salad. I added some red cabbage and carrots for color and enjoyed every bite. For more carrot recipes, try my Herb Roasted Carrots, Carrot Ginger Soup or these Sweet Potato Carrot Tots.
Ginger Carrot Dressing Ingredients
- Vegetables: Carrots, onion, celery
- Aromatics: Ginger, garlic
- Oil: I think peanut or sesame oil delivers the most flavor, but canola oil would work too.
- Vinegar: I like seasoned rice vinegar, but you can also use unseasoned. If you don’t have rice vinegar, try apple cider vinegar.
- Water to thin the dressing
- Tomato Paste: You’ll need a tablespoon of paste.
- Soy Sauce: Choose low-sodium soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free.
- Sugar: You can sub honey or brown sugar for raw sugar.
- Lemon: Just one teaspoon of lemon juice brightens the dressing.
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Carrot Ginger Dressing
This carrot dressing is so easy to make. Mince the onion, ginger, and celery, so you can measure them, and throw everything into the blender. Puree until smooth and refrigerate for a few hours. The flavors get better the longer it sits.
What to Serve with Carrot Ginger Dressing
Typically, carrot dressing is served on iceberg lettuce at Japanese restaurants, but it’s delicious on any type of lettuce, like mixed greens or romaine. If you want to make your own hibachi at home, serve it with House Special Fried Rice or with a protein like Honey Chicken Teriyaki Drumsticks. It’d also be good on coleslaw mix, in rice bowls, or over shrimp, fish, or chicken.
How to Store
This salad dressing will last up to a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Carrot Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Stir Fry with Snap Peas and Carrots
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Ginger
- Spiralized Carrot Salad with Lemon and Dijon
- Herb-Roasted Carrots
- Za’atar Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Yogurt Bowls
Asian Carrot Ginger Dressing
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tbsp minced celery
- 3 tbsp peanut oil, or sesame oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce, use tamari for gluten-free
- 1 1/2 tsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredient in the blender and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate a few hours before using to let the flavors deepen. This gets better the longer it sits.
- Serve on your favorite salad greens and enjoy!