These quick and easy baked sea scallops are topped with panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a simple lemon-butter sauce.
Scallops are one of my favorite foods, some of my popular scallop recipes are Seared Scallops over Risotto, Blackened Scallops with Horseradish Sauce, and Scallop Tostadas to name a few. I also find them incredibly convenient; they cook in less than 20 minutes, and they go beautifully with vegetables of your choice, pasta or crusty bread.
This simple dish is perfect for the holidays as part of a multi-course meal. They’re also perfect for a weeknight dinner, since they cook so quickly.
Are scallops healthy?
Scallops are good source of protein, B12, magnesium and potassium.
How to Select Scallops
- It’s best to purchase scallops from a trusted resource that has a good reputation for having a fresh supply of fish.
- Scallops are extremely perishable, therefore they are usually shelled, washed and frozen, or packed in ice, as soon as they are caught.
- Fresh scallops should have a white and firm flesh with no fishy odor, with a slightly sweet scent and should be cooked the same day. If you are planning on freezing the scallops, make sure to ask the fishmonger whether they are fresh or defrosted since you shouldn’t refreeze previously frozen scallops.
- To make them dairy free, you can omit the Parmesan and use dairy-free butter.
- You can omit the wine if you wish.
- To make these low-carb, swap the panko out for more Parmesan, and reduce the salt.
These quick and easy baked sea scallops are topped with panko and Parmesan in a simple lemon-butter sauce.
- olive oil spray
- 16 large (1 pound) large sea scallops
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 kosher teaspoon salt, divided
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly spray an 8 x 10-inch oval baking dish or 2-quart gratin dish with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat the scallops dry then spritz them with a little oil, season with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- In a small bowl combine the panko, Parmesan, parsley, oregano, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Arrange the scallops in a single layer in the prepared dish. Top with the crumb mixture.
- Whisk half of the lemon juice, melted butter, and white wine together and pour over the scallops.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the scallops are opaque.
- Set the oven to broil on high and broil second rack from the top until the topping is golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon over the scallops and eat right away.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4 scallops with sauce
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 192 calories
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Protein: 20g