Broccoli Rabe Turkey Burgers
These Broccoli Rabe Turkey Burgers are deliciously flavorful – I skipped the bun, served them over lettuce and topped with sauteed broccoli rabe – a perfect quick weeknight meal! This would also be wonderful on a slice of focaccia.
I love having naked turkey burgers for light lunch. A few of my other favorites are Naked Greek Feta-Zucchini Burgers, Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burger, and Buffalo Turkey Cheeseburgers with Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw.
I adore slightly bitter taste broccoli rabe. Sauteed with garlic and oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes, it’s one of my favorite vegetables.
My local organic supermarket carries incredible chicken broccoli rabe sausage, which is where I got the inspiration for this burger. I tried making it with ground chicken and ground turkey, and preferred the taste and texture of the turkey. To make the patties, I simply chopped up some broccoli rabe and added it to the meat along with Pecorino Romano and garlic. My husband loved them too, enjoy!
Broccoli Rabe Turkey Burgers
These Broccoli Rabe Turkey Burgers are deliciously flavorful – I skipped the bun, served them over lettuce and topped with sauteed broccoli rabe – a perfect quick weeknight meal!
For the broccoli rabe:
- 1 bunch (about 20 oz) broccoli rabe, washed, stems trimmed off
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the patties:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp freshly grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
For the burger:
- 4 slices large tomato
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Chop about 3/4 cups worth of leaves and flowers only of the broccoli rabe into very small pieces and set aside for the burger.
- Cut the remaining broccoli rabe into 2-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, then add the broccoli rabe.
- Blanch for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, drain well and set aside in a colander.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the turkey, 3/4 cup chopped broccoli rabe, Romano cheese, garlic, salt and pepper (red pepper flakes too if using).
- Form into 4 patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat a large, deep sauté pan to medium-high heat, when hot add the olive oil and garlic and cook until golden about 1 minute, careful not to burn.
- Add the broccoli rabe to the pan and toss with garlic and oil, season with 1/4 tsp salt and crushed red pepper; cook about 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- While that is cooking, cook the burgers on a hot skillet over medium-high heat for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through in the center.
- To serve place a lettuce leave on each plate, top tomato slice and cooked burger.
- Finish with the cooked broccoli rabe and optional more grated cheese if desired.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 burger
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 260 calories
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 339mg
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 27g