CrockPot Picante Chicken and Black Bean Soup
If you love a slow cooker recipe that requires no pre-cooking, then you’ll love this spicy black bean soup. This makes a nice amount of soup, perfect for freezing and reheating for a second night, or for lunch on the go. I love this topped with avocado and sour cream to mellow the heat, but it would also be great with a little cheese on top why not!
This month I asked my facebook fans what kind of recipes they wanted to see more of in 2013 and Slow Cooker recipes topped the charts! Second place was main dish meals, so I’ve been keeping my slow cooker on my counter and have been keeping my promise!
I must confess, it’s harder to develop recipes in the crock-pot. First, I have to wait at least 4 hours to find out if it’s even good and second, not everything works out as imagined. Take this recipe for example, first attempt went right in the trash. Not the first time I dumped a crock pot creation in the trash but one things for sure, they all had onions in the recipe.
I first made this with sauteed onions and there is no doubt in my mind it ruined the soup. Something about onions and crockpots just don’t work together, and this is not the first time. Second attempt I did everything the same but replaced the onions with onion powder and it was perfect, delicious, even. Even better for all of you because there’s no pre-cooking anything, so it’s easy!
Tips for variations:
It’s mildly spicy, not over the top. If you want it milder you can leave the ancho chile powder out. I pureed one of the cans of beans to thicken the soup, and left the second can whole for texture. Next time I may even add some sweet corn! A filling, wholesome, high-fiber meal for only 300 calories, or Weight Watchers 6 points plus. Freezer friendly, and gluten-free.
And since so many are asking, I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker. I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This crock pot is so great, I actually own two!
Crock Pot Picante Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 10 oz cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 16 oz 2 skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- cut limes, for serving
- 1 medium haas avocado, sliced
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Take one can of beans and place in the blender along with 2 cups of the chicken broth; puree then add to your slow cooker.
- Add the remainder of the beans and chicken broth into the slow cooker along with tomatoes, bell pepper, diced green chiles, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breast, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro.
- Set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- After it's done, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Place back into the slow cooker and add fresh scallions, remainder cilantro and adjust salt and cumin, to taste.
- Serve hot with lime wedges, avocados, and sour cream if desired. Makes about 10 1/2 cups.