Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Making Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker is so easy and perfect for busy weeknight meals. It’s also freezer friendly, so you can make a batch and freeze the leftovers for another night.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
I love using smoked ham hocks in pea soup, it gives the soup a wonderful smoky flavor, but if you don’t have ham hocks you can also use a leftover ham bone, ham steak or even smoked turkey leg instead. You can see my stove top Pea Soup Recipe, and I also have an Instant Pot Pea Soup version which is great if you want to speed this up!
When I make this on the stove, I use more liquid, which you can see if you compare recipes. Since you don’t have any evaporation when you use the slow cooker, I always cut the liquid back. This soup is super easy to make, the only prep is sautéing the onions and garlic, which you can do the night before if you want to turn this on in the morning and head out the door.
Slow Cooker Pea Soup Tips and Variations
- If you can’t find smoked ham hocks, use a leftover ham bone or ham steak.
- If you don’t eat pork, you can swap the ham for a smoked turkey leg.
- To make this vegetarian, leave the ham out, swap the broth for vegetarian broth and add more salt.
- To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the soup with the date and time. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stove or microwave.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
How To Make Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker
More Soup Recipes:
- Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
- Leftover Ham Bone Soup with Potato and Cabbage
- Slow Cooker Pork and Gandules Stew (Pigeon Peas)
- Chicken and Avocado Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham Hock
- 16 oz bag of dried split peas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 smoked ham hock, about 11 ounces (assuming 4 ounces meat removing bone and skin)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- black pepper, to taste
- Wash and drain the peas in a colander.
- In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add peas, carrots, ham hock and chicken broth, cover and cook on LOW 10 hours, until the peas are tender.
- Remove ham hock and season with black pepper.
- Discard the skin of the ham hock and shred the pork off the bone, add back to the soup.