I’m obsessed with this quick Korean-inspired Gochujang Salmon Rice Bowl. It’s a flavorful meal in under 30-minutes! Air fryer or oven!
Gochujang Salmon Rice Bowls
I eat salmon every week, so I have tons of salmon recipes on repeat in my house. To switch things up I came up with these gochujang glazed salmon rice bowls that are so delicious I had to share. I love Korean cuisine and always keep gochujang in my refrigerator. It’s a popular Korean condiment, as popular as ketchup is to Americans. The flavor is sweet and spicy, which works perfect on salmon rice bowls. Make it in the air fryer or bake it in the oven. I serve it over brown rice with sesame seeds for a high-protein, macro-balanced meal. If you want to make this low-carb, serve it over cauliflower rice. For more healthy salmon rice bowl recipes, try my Honey-Sriracha Salmon Rice Bowls, Asian Salmon Bowls, and 3-minute Microwave Salmon Rice Bowls.
Why You’ll Love This Korean-inspired Salmon Rice Bowl
- Fast: Air frying salmon is about the quickest way to cook it. You don’t have to preheat the oven, and the fish is done in 6 minutes. Or bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- A Meal in One: Get your carbs, protein, and veggies all in one bowl. No need to make a side dish!
- Healthy: These gochujang salmon bowls have 33 grams of protein and are a great source of omega-3s. And if you’re balancing your macros, this dish has a good amount of carbs, fat, and protein to help you reach your goals.
- Delicious: Get out of your comfort zone and explore new flavors you may not be familiar with!
Korean Salmon Rice Bowl Ingredients
- Salmon: Dice four salmon fillets into one-inch cubes.
- Salmon Marinade: Minced ginger, soy sauce
- Gochujang Paste or sauce is a Korean condiment that’s spicy and a little sweet. You should be able to find it at your local supermarket, but if not, you can purchase it from Amazon.
- Mirin is an Asian rice wine with more sugar and less alcohol than sake.
- Soy Sauce: You’ll need more soy sauce for the gochujang glaze, plus extra for serving.
- Sugar: A little sugar balances out the spicy, savory flavors.
- Toasted Sesame Oil: Just half a teaspoon of sesame oil gives the glaze a more complex flavor.
- Garlic: Mince one small clove.
- Rice: Cook brown rice on the stove or in the Instant Pot.
- Vegetables: Slice four mini cucumbers and a few scallions.
- Black Sesame Seeds to sprinkle on top of the gochujang salmon bowls
How to Make Gochujang Salmon Rice Bowls
- Gochujang Glaze: Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Marinate the Salmon: Pour the soy sauce and ginger on the fish and let it sit for five minutes. You can marinate it for up to 30 minutes, but any longer may make the fish mushy since soy sauce is acidic.
- Air Fry Salmon: Spray the air fryer basket with oil and air fry the salmon for five minutes at 400°F, shaking halfway. Brush the glaze over the fish and cook one more minute.
- Assemble the Rice Bowls: Put a quarter of the rice and cucumbers in each bowl. Top with salmon, sesame seeds, and scallions, and serve with more soy sauce if desired.
- Protein: Sub chicken or shrimp for salmon.
- Sauce: Swap gochujang for hoisin sauce with a little sriracha for heat.
- Mirin: Substitute rice wine vinegar for mirin.
- Gluten-Free: Replace soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos.
- Vegetables: Add avocado or edamame.
- Rice: Switch out brown rice with white rice or even noodles, like soba or rice noodles.
Cooked salmon will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator. If you don’t want to microwave fish, store the rice and salmon in separate containers. Microwave the rice, eat the fish cold, and add the vegetables right before eating.
You technically don’t have to thaw salmon before air frying it, but I highly recommend it for the best tasting results.
Always spray the basket with oil before cooking salmon in the air fryer. Make sure to use an oil spray that is 100% oil with no propellants. You can also use the air fryer parchment paper that are cut to fit the appliance.
To prevent drying out your salmon, ensure you don’t overcook it. If it’s looking done before the time is up, you can always pull out a piece and cut it open to check for doneness.
More Air Fryer Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Salmon with Maple-Soy Glaze
- Blackened Air Fryer Salmon Bites
- Sweet and Spicy Glazed Salmon
- Spicy Salmon Sushi Pizza
- Chili-Lime Air Fryer Salmon
Korean Salmon Rice Bowl
For the Gochujang Glaze:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 mini cucumbers, sliced
- scallions, sliced thin on an angle
- black sesame seeds
- Combine glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place salmon in a large bowl, add the ginger, soy sauce and let it sit 5 minutes.
Air Fryer Method:
- Spray the basket with oil.
- Place salmon in the air fryer basket in an even layer and air fry 400F about 5 minutes, shaking halfway. Brush the glaze on the salmon and cook 1 minute more, until the salmon is cooked through in the center and browned all over.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place salmon on a sheet pan in an even layer and bake 8 minutes. Brush the glaze on the salmon and cook 2 to 3 more minute more, until the salmon is cooked through in the center and the glaze is browned all over.
- Serve 3/4 cup rice and 1 cucumber in each bowl. Top with salmon, sesame seeds and scallions.
- Serve with more soy sauce, if desired.