Roasted Butternut Squash with Red Onions, Bacon, and Parmesan is made all in one sheet pan! An easy fall or winter side dish.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Bacon, Parmesan
Roasted butternut squash screams fall, and I frequently cook with it this time of year. Roasting butternut squash and onions brings out their sweetness. The caramelized edges combined with bacon and parmesan elevate this simple side, making it worthy for company or your next holiday gathering. More roasted butternut squash recipes that you may want to try are this Maple Roasted Butternut Squash or this Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash and if you have an air fryer, try these Air Fryer Butternut Squash Recipe.
Do I need to peel butternut squash before roasting?
Yes, the skin on butternut squash is thick, so you’ll need to peel it before roasting it. I used to dread this task until I learned this quick tip – Microwave the squash for a few minutes. It makes it so much easier to peel and cut the vegetable. And what’s even faster than that is buying it pre-cubed. It eliminates the often- daunting task of peeling and cutting, making prep and cleanup a breeze!
Roasted Butternut Squash Ingredients
- Butternut Squash: Twenty ounces of peeled and cubed squash is about two cups.
- Onion: I used red onion, but a yellow one would work too.
- Olive Oil for coating the vegetables
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Bacon: Chop two slices of raw bacon.
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grate a quarter cup of parmesan.
- Parsley: Garnish with Italian parsley or swap with sage, thyme, or chives if you prefer.
How to Cook Butternut Squash
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400°F, and spray a large sheet pan with oil. For easier cleanup, you can line it with foil before spraying.
- Vegetables: Put the butternut squash and onion in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Spread the veggies in an even layer on the sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, add the bacon and two
tablespoons of parmesan, and toss everything with a spatula. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish: Before serving, sprinkle the butternut with the remaining parmesan and parsley.
More Butternut Squash Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Butternut Squash and Beans
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Roasted Butternut Squash recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!
Roasted Butternut Squash with Onions, Bacon, and Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large sheet pan with oil.
- In a large bowl, add the squash, onion, oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to evenly coat.
- Spread in an even layer on prepared sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from the oven and add the bacon and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan. With a spatula, toss the veggies and mix in the bacon and Parmesan.
- Put sheet pan back in the oven and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley.