The most delicious, savory Air Fryer Butternut Squash, a quick and easy healthy side dish and the perfect addition to your favorite butternut squash recipes!
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
I’ve been getting lots of questions asking “is butternut squash good in the air fryer?” So I played around with different temps and loved how this turned out. It’s been on repeat in my house since! This sweet and savory winter squash is a delicious side alongside roasted chicken, oven fried chicken, turkey breast, and more. For other ways to use butternut squash, try my Kale and Butternut Squash with Pears and Almonds and Vegetarian Enchiladas with Butternut Squash and Black Beans.
I love my air fryer and use it every day!! You can see my other air fryer recipes, or my air fryer cookbooks for more recipes! This healthy, high fiber side dish is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and low in calories.
A Quicker Way to Cook Butternut Squash
Vegetables cook faster in the air fryer than in the oven, so air frying butternut squash is an immediate time saver. Plus, there’s no need to turn on your oven. And if you want to save even more time, buy precut butternut squash. If you choose to peel and cut your squash, use this tip to make the process easier.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash Ingredients:
I seasoned the butternut squash with a savory mix of spices, but you can use the same cooking method and any seasoning you like!
- Butternut Squash: One peeled and diced squash should give you about four cups of cut up cubes.
- Olive Oil: Spray the squash with oil before air frying and then toss it with more before sprinkling on the seasoning.
- Spices: Onion powder, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Brown Sugar: A small amount elevates the flavors, but it’s totally optional.
How to Make Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
- Put the butternut squash in the air fryer basket in a single layer, although it’s fine if they overlap a little and spray it with olive oil spray. Air fryer cooking time is about 20 to 23 minutes at 340F until fork tender.
- If your basket is smaller, the cooking time will vary slightly as it will be more crowded.
- Shake the basket a few times while it’s cooking so it browns and cooks evenly.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl.
- Toss with the cooked squash with a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the spice mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Cook 3 to 4 more minutes.
Do I need to peel butternut squash before roasting?
Yes, if you’re cutting the squash into cubes it’s best to peel with a vegetable peeler before cutting. Or to save time, use pre-cut butternut squash.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash
You can eat air fryer butternut squash so many ways! Here are some ideas:
- Add the squash to scrambled eggs for a healthy breakfast side.
- Serve it with your favorite protein like roasted chicken or crispy baked pork chops.
- Meal prep it with air fryer chicken breast and a veggie, like broccoli or brussels sprouts, to make bowls.
- Serve butternut squash over greens to make a harvest salad.
Tips and Variations:
- Try the squash with a pinch of salt and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
- Swap brown sugar with maple syrup, and then add your seasoning.
- If you don’t like spicy food, skip the cayenne.
- If you buy pre-cut butternut squash, you make have to add more time as it’s usually cut in larger pieces.
More Butternut Squash Recipes You’ll Love:
- Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Butternut Squash and Figs
- Maple Soy Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- Lentil Soup with Butternut and Kale
- Breakfast Burrito Bowl with Spiced Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Place butternut squash in the air fryer basket and spray with olive oil spray.
- Air fry 340F 20 to 23 minutes*, shaking the air fryer basket a few times until the squash is fork tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne, salt and brown sugar, if using.
- When the squash is tender, drizzle and toss the squash with olive oil.
- Add the spice mixture and toss gently to coat; cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Serve hot.