Skinny Apple Cobbler
What can be sweeter on a chilly Fall evening than warm cinnamon apples topped with a sweet golden cobbler crust. Top this with a spoon of whipped topping or frozen yogurt and you’ll feel like you’re in a state of apple bliss!
I’ve been playing around with this cobbler for a few weeks and I’m so excited finally got it right! This was delicious and you’ll never know it doesn’t have all the butter most cobblers call for. You could make this in a pie dish, if you want to serve it for Thanksgiving, but I love the portion control you get for making them in ramekins. Those of you who prefer stevia or another sweetener, you could certainly swap it out for the honey in the apples.
Skinny Apple Cobbler
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 lbs Gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4″ thick*
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp chilled whipped butter
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked)
- In a large heavy pot, combine all of the apple filling ingredients and simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, gently stirring occasionally until the apples are soft.
- Divide warm apples into 6 (8 oz) ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in chilled butter (must be cold) using a pastry cutter (or 2 knives) until pebble-sized pieces are formed.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk and oil; mix well.
- Add to the dry mixture and mix until just moistened, careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter over the apples in the ramekins.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake 30 minutes, until apples are bubbling and the topping is golden. Let it stand 8 to 10 minutes before eating.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 cobbler
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 9
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 261.5 calories
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 39.5g
- Protein: 2g
*weight of peeled apples 26.5 oz