Apple Cranberry Crumble is delicious and perfect for your Holiday table! Easier and lighter than making a pie, topped with oats, nuts and a touch of brown sugar.
Apple Cranberry Crumble
This apple cranberry crumble is lighter and healthier than most recipes, made with less sugar and fat. I used pure maple syrup to balance the tartness from the cranberries and apples, and a touch of brown sugar in the topping. If you want to use an alternate sweetener such as monk fruit on top, feel free. And for more crumbles, crisps and cobblers try this Cinnamon Apple Crisp, Strawberry Crisp, Apple Cobbler and Mixed Berry Pie.
This Apple Cranberry Crumble was a makeover request I was HAPPY to tackle! I was asked to lighten up a Christmas must-have that could be served for dessert or breakfast.
I taste-tested both her original recipe and compared it to this lightened up version and knew she would be pleased with the new results!
- Double It! To serve a large crowd, simply double the recipe and use a 9 x 12 baking dish. You can easily make this ahead, then reheat when you are ready to serve.
- Swaps: You can swap the apples for pears or use a combination of both.
- Less Sugar Option: Omit the brown sugar on top and swap it for your favorite low calorie alternative such as monk fruit.
- Make it Gluten Free: Use gluten-free oats and flour blend in place of flour and oats.
- Make it dairy-free: Swap the butter for vegan butter or coconut oil.
More Fruit Desserts You Will Love:
Apple Cranberry Crumble
For the filling:
- 3 cups about 4 peeled gala apples, sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tbsp flour or cornstarch for gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- cooking spray
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup dry quick-cooking oats, check lables for gluten-free
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour mix
- 3 tbsp melted whipped butter, or dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine apples, cranberries along with the rest of the filling ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour into baking dish and even out with a spoon.
- In another bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over apple/cranberry mixture.
- Bake uncovered, for 55-60 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm.