This classic Salisbury Steak recipe is smothered in mushroom gravy and ready in under 30 minutes!
Lean ground beef and turkey are combined to lighten up this classic, retro American dish. My family loves it over these Instant Pot mashed potatoes or serve it over mashed cauliflower. I always have ground beef in my freezer, and one of the ground beef recipes I crave is this Salisbury Steak recipe. This makes enough for 2 nights for a family of four. Eat half and freeze the rest for another night. If you love this recipe, you might also enjoy these Salisbury Steak Meatballs!
It’s hard not to imagine TV dinners when you think of Salisbury Steak. It was originally a poor man’s beef dish back in the great depression when steak was a luxury. To stretch the dollar, they made these steaks with ground beef and fillers, shaped to resemble a real steak.
My family loves this dish, everyone from my picky teen, toddler and husband. I’m sure yours will too!! It’s total comfort food and so much better when it’s homemade.
More Comfort Food Recipes You Will Love:
- Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
- Turkey Meatball Stroganoff
- Lasagna Rolls
- Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- Chicken Parmesan
Skinny Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup onions minced
- 1 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs or gluten free crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 cup water
- chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions, ground beef, ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup beef broth, salt and black pepper. Shape into 8 oval patties.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties, about 4 to 5 min on each side, in batches as needed. Set aside on a dish.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Return patties to the skillet with the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth. Mix in remaining onions, tomato paste, vinegar, water, worcestershire sauce and mustard powder. Pour over meat and mushrooms in skillet.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.