You can also freeze this into popsicles similar to these Avocado Coconut Pops. If your looking for more St Patrick’s Day festive recipes, Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Bailey’s Irish Cream Cheese Frosting and these adorable St Patty’s Rainbow Cake Pops are a perfect treat for the occasion.
Yesterday I drove to three McDonald’s just to test them out, but no one seemed to carry them in my area, which surprised me since the commercials seem to be running frequently on my TV.
No worries, I figured I know what mint ice cream should taste like, I’m sure it’s not much different.
A lot of thought was put in on how I would make this sweet and creamy like a real ice cream shake. But, I didn’t want to add artificial green food coloring. I knew I was going to start with Stonyfield’s 0% fat vanilla frozen yogurt, because I just love it. I’m always amazed at how much it tastes like full fat vanilla ice cream. I also knew I would add a little spearmint extract to give it that minty flavor. But for the coloring, I was stumped. Then it hit me… avocado’s are green, creamy and taste great in smoothies, so it was the perfect solution.
In fact, I may drizzle a little chocolate syrup on top next time I make this to get that mint chocolate chip experience. This is a fun dessert your kids I bet will enjoy!
More St Patricks Day Food:
- Sweet Potato Irish Nachos
- Irish Soda Bread
- Shamrock Bell Pepper and Potato Frittata
- Shephard’s Pie
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
Skinny(er) Shamrock Shake
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 3/4 cup 0% fat vanilla frozen yogurt or Halo Top ice cream
- 1/3 cup sliced avocado
- a few drops Nu Naturals Stevia or 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1/4 tsp mint extract not Peppermint
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pour the milk, frozen yogurt, avocado, sugar, mint extract and ice into your blender.
- Blend 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick and icy.
- Pour into two glasses, and serve with a straw. Serve immediately.