Other party appetizer ideas, perfect for the upcoming super bowl, are Hot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Dip, Mini Greek Spinach Pies, Baked Mozzarella Sticks, and Tostones Twice Air Fried Plantains. Check out a full list of more party appetizers or Super bowl recipes.
These are simple to make, you can prep the meatballs ahead and bake when you’re ready to serve.
Some of you who follow me on snapchat (username: skinnytaste) may have seen me make these last week, I know because I’ve been getting tons of requests via email, Instagram and Facebook to post the recipe so here it is, just before the weekend!
Hope you enjoy and feel free to come back and comment if you do!
Sweet 'n Spicy BBQ Turkey Meatballs with Bacon
- 1 1/4 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 6 slices bacon, 4 ounces, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 ounces about 4 whole jarred cherry peppers (I like Trader Joe’s)
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko, or gluten-free panko
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the BBQ glaze:
- 2 tablespoon sweet BBQ sauce, store bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, combine barbeque sauce and ketchup. Set aside.
- For meatballs: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine bacon, onion, garlic, cherry peppers, basil and thyme. Pulse until combined and uniform in color and texture, about 10 pulses.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, panko, salt and pepper.
- Add bacon-cherry pepper mixture to bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Using your hands, form small round meatballs, about the size of a golf ball.
- Place the meatballs on a large baking sheet lined with parchment and with a pastry or silicone brush, lightly brush the meatballs with the barbeque-ketchup mixture.
- Bake for 12 minutes and then adjust oven to broil. Broil for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and browned.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.