Un-stuffed Cabbage Bowls (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
Quick and easy stuffed cabbage – without all the work! I love stuffed cabbage, it reminds me of my childhood (a staple in my home growing up), but they can be a bit time consuming. I came up with the idea to chop the cabbage and turn them into bowls instead and they came out so good! My husband RAVED, it’s a keeper.
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
I made this in the Instant Pot but you can easily make this on the stove, simply double the cooking time. I added some cooked rice to them as my parents always make stuffed cabbage with rice but if you want to keep this low carb, feel free to leave it out.
How To Make Stuffed Cabbage Bowls
You May Also Like:
Un-stuffed Cabbage Bowls
- cooking spray
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup less sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and chopped (9 cups)
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Spray with oil then add the beef and salt, cook breaking the meat up until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, marjoram and black pepper and stir. Add the tomato sauce, paprika, beef broth and raisins, cover and cook high pressure 15 minutes.
- Quick release, add the rice and cabbage and cook 3 minutes high pressure. Quick release and serve with additional rice if desired.
Stove Top Directions:
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, spray with oil then add the beef and salt, cook breaking the meat up until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, marjoram and black pepper and stir. Add the tomato sauce, 1/4 cup water, paprika, beef broth and raisins, cover and cook medium-low 25 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and cabbage and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. Serve with additional rice if desired.