Baked Potato Soup
This slimmed down version of a loaded baked potato soup has everything you love about a baked potato – sour cream, cheddar, bacon and chives, at a fraction of the calories!
This has been one of my most popular soup recipes since I first shared in 2011. I had gotten a request to make over traditional baked potato soup (You really like to challenge me, don’t you!) and was a little stumped on how I was going to take something as carb-rich as potatoes, with added fat like sour cream, cheese and bacon, light!
I knew I had to hide a vegetable in this soup to bulk it up without added calories. My first attempt was parsnips, but the flavor was too overwhelming. My second attempt was cauliflower, knowing how much you all love my Creamy cauliflower puree recipe and it was a winner. It really feels like you’re eating a loaded baked potato, without all the guilt. This would also be great topped with broccoli and cheese if you prefer to forgo the bacon.
Baked Potato Soup
- 2 medium russet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 small head of cauliflower (3 1/2 cups or 16 ounces), stem removed cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5 minutes turn over and microwave another 3 - 5 minutes, until tender. Or if you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes.
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot.
- On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl.
- Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon.
Yield: 5, Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 6
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Sodium: 323mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 14g