Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole is sure to be a family crowd pleasure for weeknight dinner, even those with picky palates.
Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole
This dish is total comfort food! Shredded chicken breast and broccoli baked in the oven with egg noodles in a light creamy sauce topped with toasted breadcrumbs. A simple dish the whole family will love, even the little ones! See more delicious Chicken Breast Recipes here.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole
- Store: Keep the casserole in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- Freeze: Prepare the recipe through step 8. Pour the noodle mixture into a dish but leave off the breadcrumbs and cheese. Let it cool completely, and then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to three months.
- Reheat: Thaw the dish overnight in the refrigerator. Before baking, top with the parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Protein: Swap the chicken for boneless thighs, rotisserie chicken, or leftover turkey.
- Veggies: Use frozen broccoli to save time. If you don’t like broccoli or want to add an extra vegetable, here are some ideas: carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, peas, or spinach.
- Shallot: Switch out the shallot for an onion.
- Noodles: Swap the egg noodles with another short noodle. You could also use whole-grain pasta.
- Cheese: Sub cheddar for Colby jack or mozzarella.
- Milk: Swap 1% milk with whatever milk you have in your fridge.
- Flour: Sub whole wheat, white whole wheat, or gluten-free flour for all-purpose.
- Herbs: Add fresh or dried thyme or rosemary.
Helpful tips to save time and money:
What I love about this casserole is that it’s inexpensive and easy to make ahead. Here are a few tips to make this chicken noodle casserole from scratch even faster!
- I buy chicken breast in bulk because it’s less expensive. When I get home from the store, I separate the chicken, placing some in my refrigerator to use right away and the rest in freezer bags to freeze for the future.
- To easily cook a few chicken breasts, cook them in your slow cooker. Pour enough water or broth over them to just cover and cook it on low for four to six hours. This method will give you perfect shredded chicken to use in other recipes throughout the week, such asenchiladas, chicken salad, or stuffed peppers and only takes a few minutes to prep.
- You can also use rotisserie chicken and frozen broccoli to save even more time.
- Another tip is to cook the cheese sauce in a big dutch oven. You can then add the chicken, broccoli, and noodles to the pot and bake the casserole in the dutch oven, eliminating the need to dirty another dish.
- To make chicken noodle casserole ahead, prepare the recipe as instructed, leaving the breadcrumbs off. Then, refrigerate for a day or two until you’re ready to bake. Before putting the dish into the oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
More Chicken and Broccoli Recipes You’ll Love:
- Honey Sriracha Chicken and Broccoli Meal Prep Bowls
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Orecchiette Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli
- One-Pan Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Broccoli
- Skillet Chicken and Broccoli Veggie Tot Pie
Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole
- 6 oz egg noodles, or no-yolk
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 12 oz cooked shredded chicken breast
- 4 oz shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar, Sargento
- cooking spray
- 3 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs, I used whole wheat
- Cook noodles in salted water until al dente, or slightly under-cooked by 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook on medium heat until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli and a little salt, sauté and cover the broccoli for about 3 minutes on medium heat until the broccoli begins to soften. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium-low heat, when melted add the shallot and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined over medium heat; whisk well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat, mixing occasionally until it thickens (about 6-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add reduced fat sharp cheddar and 1 tablespoon of the parmesan cheese; mix well until the cheese melts.
- Add the shredded chicken, noodles and broccoli to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Spray a little more cooking spray on top and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. Place the casserole under the broiler a few minutes to get the crumbs crisp and golden (careful not to burn). Divide in 6 equal portions.