This easy Chickpea Tomato Soup is an easy, hearty soup, loaded with chickpeas and vegetables in every bite. Stove, slow cooker and Instant Pot directions provided.
Chickpea Tomato Soup
This chickpea tomato soup is so flavorful and perfect for a cold winter night. It pairs wonderfully with a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a great meatless dish that’s loaded with fiber. I love hearty soups with legumes when it’s cold, more soups you may enjoy this Minestrone, and this 16 Bean Soup with Ham and Kale (so good!). You can see more Soup Recipes here!
This is the best tomato soup! The chickpeas and vegetables give it so much body and complexity.
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are loaded with nutrients such as fiber, protein and vitamins so it’s also a nourishing meal. Leftovers freeze well so it’s also a great make-ahead meal and perfect to pack for lunch on the go. I adore chickpeas and have been making this soup a lot, especially now that chickpeas are 0 Smart Points on WW! My husband on the other hand isn’t a fan of their texture, but he loves the soup!
To Meal Prep:
Leftovers are great for meal prep. Divide the rest into containers. Keep covered and refrigerate up to 4 days. To reheat, microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
To Freeze: Freeze, covered for up to 3 months. To reheat, transfer to the refrigerator or reheat from frozen in 30-second intervals until heated through.
What to serve with Chickpea Tomato Soup
This is filling on it’s own but if you want to serve it with a side, try it with:
- A simple salad and a whole grain baguette.
- It pairs wonderfully with a grilled cheese sandwich.
How To Make Chickpea Tomato Soup
More Soup Recipes You will Love!
- 16 Bean Soup with Ham and Kale
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Detox Soup
- Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
Chickpea Tomato Soup with Rosemary (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and Stove Top)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegetarians
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra optional for garnish
Crock Pot Version
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the crock pot along with the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Add the rosemary, bay leaves and basil, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When done add the spinach. Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Stove Top Version
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Add the rosemary, basil and bay leaves, cover and cook on low 30 minutes. Add the spinach, cover and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, rosemary sprig, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Instant Pot Version
- Follow same recipe as above except cook 15 minutes high pressure, natural release.