One of my favorite ways to make grilled steak in the summer. Topped with fresh chopped tomatoes, red onion, balsamic and oil. It’s fresh and a great way to enjoy those end-of-summer tomatoes!
Grilled Steak with Tomatoes and Balsamic
This Grilled Steak topped with fresh chopped tomatoes, red onion, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil is one of my favorite ways to make steak in the summer. A couple more of my favorite grilled flank steak recipes are this Grilled Flank Steak with Black Bean and Corn Salsa and Grilled Balsamic Steak with Tomatoes and Arugula.
This summer grilled steak recipe is fresh and flavorful and a great way to enjoy summer tomatoes. The tomatoes and red onions are seasoned with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil and topped with whatever combo of fresh herbs you have on hand, like basil and oregano.
How long do you cook steak on the grill?
Turn the grill on high heat and cook the steak for about seven minutes on each side for a medium-rare steak. The internal temperature should be 135 degrees, and for a medium steak with a warm pink center, cook it to 145 degrees. After you pull the steak off the grill, let it rest for about five minutes before slicing.
What to Serve with Grilled Steak
This grilled flank steak would be delicious with a side of grilled lemon-parsley potatoes and asparagus. Some other side dish options are this Grilled Corn Salad with Feta, Grilled Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad, and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. You could also serve the steak and tomatoes as a salad over mixed greens or arugula.
- Swap the balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar.
- Switch out the red onion for shallot.
- Add avocado to the tomato topping.
- If you can’t find flank steak or London broil, use flat iron steak.
- Serve the tomato mixture over chicken or salmon.
- If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use your broiler or purchase an indoor grill pan (this is the one I use).
More Steak Recipes You’ll Love:
- Soy Marinated Flank Steak
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Asian Flank Steak Skewers
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Skirt Steak, Baby Bok Choy and Zucchini Stir Fry
Grilled Steak With Tomatoes, Red Onion and Balsamic
- 2 lb flank or london broil steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- garlic powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs such as oregano basil or parsley
- Pierce steak all over with a fork. Season generously with 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside about 10 minutes at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine onions, olive oil, balsamic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Let onions sit a few minutes in the mixture to mellow a bit. Combine with tomatoes and fresh herbs and adjust salt, if needed.
- Heat grill or broiler on high heat. Cook steak about 7 minutes on each side for medium rare or longer to taste. Remove from grill and let it rest on a plate for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice steak thin on the diagonal; top with tomatoes and serve.