These Italian inspired Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Egg Rolls make a delicious appetizer for the holidays! Make them in the air fryer or bake them in the oven.
Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Egg Rolls
We love a traditional egg roll recipe but also love filling egg roll wrappers with other fun combinations! Broccoli rabe and sausage is one of my favorite pasta combinations, so I knew I would like these Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Egg Rolls! They’re a great option for a party appetizer since they can be made ahead and frozen and are delicious dipped in your favorite marinara sauce. For more fun egg roll recipes, try my Pastrami Reuben Egg Rolls, Avocado Egg Rolls, Breakfast Egg Rolls.
What is the difference between broccoli and broccoli rabe?
Broccoli and broccoli rabe are similar yet very different. Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini, has thinner stems and smaller florets than broccoli and also has leafy greens.
Italian Egg Roll Filling Ingredients
Here’s what’s in these egg rolls:
- Sweet Italian chicken sausage
- Broccoli rabe
- Shallot and garlic
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- White wine
- Egg roll wrappers
For these egg rolls, I sauté the sausage with broccoli rabe and shallots and then add garlic, salt, black and red pepper, and white wine. Then I drain the mixture and mix in the Parmesan before filling the egg rolls.
How to Freeze
These egg rolls can also be made ahead and frozen to keep on hand for snacks or apps.
- To freeze uncooked egg rolls, transfer to a freezer bag and seal, squeezing as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to six months.
- To cook the frozen egg rolls in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 320F and cook for 12 to 14 minutes. Turn them halfway through and cook until golden brown and crisp. Serve them immediately with dipping sauce if
- If you’re using the oven, bake frozen egg rolls at 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- Swap turkey sausage for chicken or use a spicy Italian sausage.
- Substitute broccoli rabe with broccolini.
- Switch out the shallot for red onion.
- Use chicken broth instead of white wine.
More Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Chicken Milanese with Mediterranean Salad
- Shrimp Egg Rolls
- Cheeseburger Crunch Wrap
- Air Fryer Lobster Jalapeño Empanadas
- Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
Air Fryer Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Egg Rolls (or oven)
- 16 oz uncooked sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 cups uncooked broccoli rabe, Rapini, chopped, discard large stems, use thinner stems only
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 oz white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 egg roll wrappers, Nasoya
- marinara for serving, optional
- In a large skillet, add the sausage over medium-high heat and begin to break down with a spatula, about 2 minutes.
- Add shallots and broccoli rabe and continue to break apart the sausage while cooking for about 7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, salt, pepper flakes and wine and cook over medium heat about minutes, breaking down the sausage and cooking the wine down.
- Remove from heat and place the sausage mix into a mixing bowl, let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander so there is no extra liquid then transfer to a mixing bowl and mix in the parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Assemble the egg rolls: One at a time, place egg roll wrapper on a clean surface, points facing top and bottom like a diamond. Spoon 1/4 cup sausage mixture onto the bottom third of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in a small bowl of water and run it along the edges of the wrapper. Lift the bottom point nearest you and wrap it around the filling. Fold the left and right corners in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight cylinder.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
Air Fryer Method
- Spray all sides of the egg rolls with oil using your fingers to evenly coat.
- In batches, air fry 370F for 7 minutes, turning halfway through until golden brown. Serve immediately, with marinara sauce on the side, if desired.
- To bake, preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the rolls on on a greased baking sheet coated with oil spray. Spray each roll evenly with oil.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until the rolls are crisp and golden brown.
13 comments on “Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Egg Rolls (Air Fryer or Oven)”
Thank you for another good egg roll recipe. My family enjoyed it. We would never have paired marinara sauce with an egg roll, but it was good.
These were so amazing!!!!! Loved the spice but for someone who cannot handle it, I would say, leave out the crushed red pepper. I had trouble finding the egg roll wraps so I used egg white wraps and ate them like a burrito. Still delicious. Adding this to my weekly rotation. Thank you.
These were incredible! Thanks for the great idea.
Recipes are way too large. Max should be servings for 4
It’s an appetizer recipe, so the serving size is perfect for a gathering.
You can change the serving size right before you print to larger or smaller amounts and the ingredients automatically adjust, it’s great!!!
Looks great! Any recommendations on a gluten free sub for the wrap?
Gina, can you tell me the WW points on these? For blue and green plans please.
WW no longer provides blue and green so I linked to the WW recipe builder, see the orange button.
Do you think I i could use rice paper instead? (egg allergy)
Can you sub in loompia wraps for the egg roll wraps?
My husband and I loved these. Sooo good. Thanks Gina!