Air Fryer Lobster Jalapeño Empanadas
These spicy Air Fryer Lobster Jalapeño Empanadas are crispy and golden perfection without all the oil used in deep frying.
Air Fryer Lobster Jalapeño Empanadas
Empanadas bring me back to my summers as a kid spent in Puerto Rico. I ate empanadas (also known as pastelillos) every chance I could from street vendors. My favorites were the ones filled with lobster, shrimp, or pizza. You can fill empanadas with just about anything you can dream up, from leftover taco meat and pizza to buffalo chicken and pie filling – you name it. These Lobster Jalapeno Empanadas couldn’t be easier. Make sure to try some of my other empanada recipes like these Air Fryer Beef Empanadas, Chilean Caramelized Onion Empanadas and my Taco Empanadas.
Although it’s really easy for me to get Lobster in NY, I really love the convenience of using frozen lobster claws. Crowd Cow sells shelled frozen lobster claw meat which is what I used here. If you’re not familiar with them, they ship raised right meat with no hormones and sustainable seafood, right to your door. I started using them when we were on lock down and continue to get crab legs, steaks, fish, tuna, scallops, etc. You can get $25 off your first order here.
The lobster filling came out so delicious, I could enjoying this on a roll for a spicy lobster roll!
How do you cook empanadas in the air fryer?
Preheat your air fryer to 325F degrees and cook them for about eight minutes, turning halfway.
What kind of dough is used for empanadas?
I used frozen empanada discs (the kind sold for baking). If you can’t find the empanada discs for baking, the ones for frying will also work, or make my pizza dough recipe instead.
If using the pizza dough, roll the dough out as thinly as possible, and then use a small glass jar and cut out as many 4.75-inch circles as possible. Roll the remaining dough and repeat. If you have a large round cookie cutter, even better.
How to Serve Lobster Empanadas
These air fryer empanadas are the perfect snack or lunch with a squeeze of lime. If you wish, you can also serve them with guacamole. To make more of a meal out of them, add a simple salad with avocado and tomatoes.
- Swap lobster for crab meat or chopped shrimp.
- If you don’t like spicy food, remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno.
More Lobster Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lobster Rolls
- Grilled Lobster Tails with Herb Garlic Butter
- Union Cantina Lobster Tacos
- Lobster Cobb Salad
- Chipotle Lobster and Avocado Wrap
Air Fryer Lobster Jalapeno Empanadas
- 8 frozen empanada discs, thawed
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 8 ounces roughly chopped raw lobster meat, I buy frozen claws from Crowd Cow
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 lime cut unto wedges, for serving
To make the filling
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and jalapeno and sauté until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the lobster and cook 1 to 2 minutes until just opaque.
- Remove from the heat and add the chives.
- Quickly drain in a mesh sieve and set aside to cool.
To make the empanadas
- Place the dough circles on a work surface.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of lobster stuffing in the middle of a circle; brush the edges of the dough with the water or egg wash.
- Fold the circle over itself, press the edges with your fingers or a fork to seal, and place on a work surface.
- Repeat until all of the empanadas are filled. Brush tops with egg wash.
- Spray the basket with oil to prevent sticking, transfer to the basket, in batches cook at 325F° for 8 minutes, turning half way.
- Serve hot with lime wedges.