These quick and easy, “Fried” Oreos made with protein pancake batter and Oreo Thins are the perfect light treat when you’re craving something sweet!
I am not a fan of Oreos, but I’m a sucker for fried Oreos – the kind they sell at street fairs. There’s nothing healthy about them, but they are oh so good! I tried making my own lighter version at home using protein pancake mix and Oreo Thins. For more chocolatey treats, try my Fudgy Flourless Crinkle Brownie Cookies and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark.
I tested these Oreos out in the air fryer, but they were such a mess. So, I figured why not make them on a skillet like you do when making pancakes…they came out awesome! These healthier fried Oreos are the best little treat when you’re craving something sweet.
What are the ingredients for fried Oreos?
The ingredients for making “fried” Oreos are pretty straightforward. You will need the following:
- Pancake Mix: I used Birch Benders Protein Pancake Mix for some extra nutrition, but you can use any pancake mix that’s “just add water.”
- Water: Add six tablespoons of water to the pancake mix.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract is great for adding a little extra sweetness.
- Oreos: I used Oreo Thins because they’re lighter than original Oreos. One Thin has 35 calories and 5.25 grams of carbs compared to 53 calories and 8.3 grams of carbs for an original Oreo.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: I sprinkle confectioners’ sugar (also known as powdered sugar) over the finished product, making them look so pretty and taste sweeter.
How to Make “Fried” Oreos from Scratch
To make fried Oreos on the stove, follow these four easy steps:
- Combine pancake mix, vanilla, and water in a bowl.
- Dip the cookies in the pancake mixture and then put them in a nonstick pan on medium-low heat.
- Cook until the pancake bottom sets and then flip over and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
- Use a different Oreo Thins flavor, like Golden, Mint, or Dark Chocolate.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Dark Chocolate Nut Clusters with Sea Salt
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- ½ cup Birchbenders Protein pancake mix
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 12 Oreo cookie thins
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, or to taste
- Mix pancake mix, vanilla and water until well combined in a small bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and spray with oil.
- Dip each cookie into the pancake mixture using a fork, then onto the skillet in an even layer (in batches) without touching.
- Cook until the bottom sets, flip and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Repeat with remaining batter and cookies.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.