Julienned Summer Vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash and carrots cut into spaghetti like strands, sauteed with garlic and oil.
Sauteed Summer Vegetables
I make this side dish ALL summer long – not just because it’s low-carb, and gluten-free, but because it’s delicious! It also happens to be my husband’s favorite way to enjoy zucchini!
How To Serve Summer Vegetables
This side dish goes great with anything you grill, but I especially love serving this as a side to fish. It almost feels like you’re eating noodles.
How To Julienne Vegetables
The trick to quickly cutting the vegetables into thin long strips is to use a mandolin with a julienne blade. You could also do this with a sharp knife if you have serious knife skills, but I say splurge on a mandolin. My mandolin is from OXO, I’ve had it a few years and I get so much use out of it. I basically run the vegetables through the mandolin until I get the center where the seeds are, then I turn it. The carrots are a bit tougher to cut, so sometimes I just buy a bag of pre-shredded carrots. Once the cutting is done, it takes less than 4 minutes to cook into tender crisp veggie noodles.
More Summer Squash Recipes
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Grilled Veggie Towers with Mozzarella
- Baked Ratatouille
- Summer Squash and Chive Pancakes
- Grilled Zucchini
Sauteed Julienned Summer Vegetables
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz zucchini, cut into julienne strips (with a mandolin)
- 8 oz yellow squash, cut into julienne strips (with a mandolin)
- 4 oz 1 medium carrot, cut into julienne strips (with a mandolin)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the oil, onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the remaining vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook about 1 minute. Give it a stir to mix everything around and cook another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through yet firm. Adjust salt as needed and serve hot.
- Makes 4 cups.