Grilled Vegetable Towers with Mozzarella
Grilled Vegetable Towers with Mozzarella are layered with grilled, marinated eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red onion and bell peppers topped with fresh mozzarella.
This grilled vegetable recipe is DELICIOUS and such a great way to enjoy the summer’s bounty. A few of my other favorite grilled veggie recipes are Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers, Honey Balsamic Grilled Chicken and Vegetables, and Grilled Rainbow Peppers with Cream Cheese.
How If you prefer to grill them indoors, you can also grill the vegetables on a grill pan, then preheat to oven to 350°F, make your vegetable stacks on a baking sheet and melt the cheese in the oven. The vegetables can also be grilled a day ahead and reheated in the oven as well.
Best Vegetables to Grill:
You can grill any vegetable on the grill. Here is a list of some of my favorites:
- sliced eggplant
- red onion
- bell peppers
- yellow squash
- brussels sprouts
- romaine lettuce
- portobello mushrooms
If your vegetables are too small, you can put them on a stick to prevent them from falling through the grates like I did with these Grilled Brussels Sprouts. An outdoor grill pan is also a must, perfect for asparagus, cut peppers, onions, or anything that may fall through the grates.
How To Make Grilled Vegetable Towers
You May Also Like:
- Grilled Veggie Bowls with Shrimp
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Grilled Pineapples
- Grilled Potatoes
Grilled Veggie Towers with Mozzarella
- 1 small eggplant, about 9 oz
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 6 slices
- 1 large, 10 oz zucchini
- 1 large, 10 oz yellow squash
- 3 red bell peppers
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese - cut into 1 oz thin slices
- 4 large basil leaves plus 1 leaf chiffonade for garnish, optional
For the Balsamic Marinade:
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 4 basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp kosher coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash and cut ends off vegetables. Cut the eggplant and red onion into 6 slices. Cut the zucchini and squash into 1/2-inch thick slices on the bias (diagonally). Cut the red pepper in half and remove innards. Cut in half once again.
- Place all ingredients of marinade into blender or place them into a container and use emulsion blender until all ingredients are blended until smooth.
- Combine the vegetables and marinade in a deep bowl or large plastic bag. Allow to sit for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill, remove vegetables from marinade with tongs and place vegetables directly on grill. Discard excess marinade.
- Place the red peppers, skins down, on the grill first since they will need the longest cooking time (about 6 minutes on each side, or until the skin is slightly charred.)
- Grill the additional vegetables 4 to 5 minutes, until browned and soft, remove from grill and set aside.
- Using a small tin begin to create your tower of vegetables.
- Begin with the largest vegetable at the bottom. That will most likely be the eggplant, then the onion, red pepper, zucchini, and then the squash. Place a piece of basil in between any of the vegetables.
- Top the tower with the slice of mozzarella cheese, place back on grill and cover grill so the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish with basil if desired.