Seared Scallops, Grapefruit, Arugula and Spinach Salad
Seared Scallops Arugula Salad
This is what happens when foodies get together…. caramelized scallops with bittersweet grapefruit, peppery arugula in a shallot champagne vinaigrette. Have I enticed you yet?
I spent the weekend with Kat of Food For Every Season and we created this fabulous salad after having a big brunch. I’m on a grapefruit kick lately and even if you’re not a huge fan I think you would really love the flavor combination you experience with each and every bite.
This is the kind of salad you can easily see on the menu of a high end restaurant at a fraction of the cost; simple to make and elegant enough to impress guests. Great for lunch or a light dinner and ready in less than 20 minutes. This would also be wonderful with shrimp, enjoy!!
Scallops, Grapefruit, Arugula and Spinach Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
- 2 pink grapefruits, reserving 3 slices
- 1 lb sea scallops, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz baby spinach and arugula
For the champagne vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar, white wine vinegar would work
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- salt and pepper
- grapefruit juice from 3 reserved slices of grapefruit
- Peel the skin and white membrane off the grapefruit and separate the pieces.
- Reserve three grapefruit slices for the vinaigrette and squeeze the juice; set aside.
- Chop up remaining grapefruit for the salad.
- In a medium bowl whisk olive oil, squeezed grapefruit juice (from 3 slices of grapefruit), champagne vinegar, chopped shallots, salt and pepper.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan on a high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add oil and place scallops in the pan.
- Sear without touching them for a few minutes until the bottom forms a nice caramel colored crust.
- Turn and cook about another minute while their centers are still slightly translucent (you can check this by viewing them from the side).
- Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from the pan.
- Divide the baby greens evenly between four plates.
- Arrange grapefruit on the plate and top with scallops; drizzle with vinaigrette.