These easy Slow Cooker Blissful Butternut Squash Soup is dairy-free, vegan and Whole30 compliant. Made with butternut squash and creamy coconut milk.
This is the easiest, creamiest, yummiest Fall slow cooker soup recipe – perfect for all you butternut lovers out there! Using only a 6 ingredients and very minimal prep (no need to peel the squash), you will have yourself a creamy, dreamy winter squash soup to satisfy your soup loving soul. It’s also gluten-free and vegan which is great if you have dietary restrictions at home.
This soup was a huge hit at home yesterday! I had half the butternut and half the buttercup left over from the Roasted Winter Squash Medley recipe I posted this week, and decided to make a soup with it in the slow cooker. But it was early, and I was feeling lazy and didn’t feel like peeling it so as an experiment I did this in the slow cooker with the skins on much like you would if you roasted it in the oven. This was so EASY, the squash came off the skins with a spoon in minute once it was cooked!
I didn’t completely immerse the squash in broth, instead I just put 2 cups along with the shallots and turned it on 4 hours high. Then I added coconut milk and pureed it. Topped with a little more coconut milk and a pinch of nutmeg, this soup had us all swooning with every spoonful.
This is so good for you, and loaded with 9 grams of fiber! If you wish to use all butternut, that’s fine, just be sure to cut it in half before putting it in the pot. You can add more broth to thin it out if it’s too thick, I found this to be perfect. Here’s a few more Soup Recipes you may also enjoy!
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Slow Cooker Blissful Butternut Squash Soup
- 16 oz 1/2 small butternut squash, halved, seeds removed
- 16 oz 1/2 buttercup or kobacha squash, halved, seeds removed but not peeled
- 2 large shallot, quartered
- 2 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or 1-1/2 tbsp Better Bouillon w/water
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- pinch nutmeg
- optional garnish: drizzle coconut milk, chives, pepitas
- Place the squash, shallots and broth in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours, until soft and cooked through, a knife should easily be inserted.
- Remove squash from skin and discard the peel.
- Stir in coconut milk and nutmeg.
- Blend in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with more coconut milk and chives, if desired.