This easy taco recipe requires no pre-cooking, just throw it all in the crock pot and you’ll have a delicious weeknight meal. Black beans and chicken breast, simmered in the slow cooker make the perfect filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or even a burrito bowl and it’s loaded with fiber.
Personally, I love this served in crunchy corn taco shells. I make a quick red cabbage slaw which adds a little acidity and crunch, and it’s a healthier option than iceberg. Add some spicy pico de gallo for freshness and avocados, and I am one happy gal! So good you won’t even miss the cheese!
I often make my own pico de gallo, but when I’m pressed for time, I have no problem buying it. There are lots of great options in the refrigerated produce section of the supermarket, Nature’s Promise is usually my go-to, is organic and has just the right amount of kick.
Avocado is so good on tacos, and loaded with heart healthy fats. It’s creamy and delicious and I totally skip the sour cream, but if you rather save on calories and leave it out, fat free Greek yogurt works fine in it’s place.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
Slow Cooker Chicken Black Bean Tacos
- 12 oz raw skinless chicken tenders or breast
- 15 oz can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed (Goya)
- 10 oz can tomatoes with mild green chiles, I used Rotel
- 1 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp plus 1/8th tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 medium scallion, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
For the Slaw:
- 1 1/3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar, or lime juice
- salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Taco:
- 12 crisp corn taco shells
- Optional toppings:, not calculated
- pico de gallo
- 1 medium haas avocado, sliced
- Season chicken with pinch of salt, garlic powder, oregano, 1/8 tsp of the chili powder and 1/8th tsp cumin.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the crock pot and season with the remaining chili powder and cumin.
- Place chicken in the crock pot and cover. Cook on HIGH 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine shredded cabbage with vinegar (add more to taste), season with salt to taste; set aside.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks.
- Drain beans and transfer to a platter, or back to the crock pot to keep warm. Top with shredded chicken, scallions and cilantro.
- To serve, warm the taco shells according to package directions.
- Fill with equal amounts of bean and chicken mixture. Top with cabbage and your favorite toppings.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.