Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie
Ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savory garlic sweet potato topping. Comfort food without the guilt!
This is a crazy month for the North East. First we got slammed with a hurricane, and yesterday a Nor’easter. This is what it looks like outside my door…
Thousands of people, including myself are still without power. Here on the south shore of Long Island, the fear the power company has is if they turn the power back on, it may start fires to the homes with severe water damage. There of talks of having to inspect every home before they turn the power back on… I’m afraid this means it could be a while before I get my power back.
I’m not complaining, I’m managing fine for now thanks to my generator to keep my house warm, but many neighbors aren’t so lucky. Yesterday I visited an elderly woman who lives by herself, was cold, had no food and it just broke my heart knowing she is one of many. My girlfriend and I went grocery shopping for her and brought her some food and batteries and a warm hug, but she insisted on staying home despite the cold.
Talk about a month to give thanks, I just want to remind you all to count your blessings! Be thankful for the little things: heat, clean water, hot showers, electricity, and hot food on the table. The simple necessities we often take for granted.
This dish can be assembled ahead of time, then baked in the oven when you are ready to eat. It also freezes well and reheats great. I made them in individual oven safe dishes for perfect portion control, but you can also make this in one large pie dish.
Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherd's Pie
For the potatoes:
- 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth*
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the filling:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp flour (leave out to make gluten-free)
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth*
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft.
- Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saute pan brown turkey; season with salt and pepper.
- When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute.
- Add the celery, parsnip, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.
- Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked turkey, and mix well.
- Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.
- In 6 oven safe individual dishes spread 1 cup of the meat mixture on the bottom of each dish.
- Top each with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes.
- Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 20 minutes or until potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes before serving.
*For Gluten-free diets, be sure you broth is labeled gluten free.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 pie
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 250 calories
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 304mg
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 16.5g