Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Smashed Sweet Potatoes, seasoned with thyme are smashed after roasting and then sprinkled with Parmesan for a savory-sweet side dish.
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
These Savory Smashed Sweet Potatoes are so good! Notice how I said “smashed” and not “mashed.” These are not mashed sweet potatoes, although I do have recipes for traditional mashed potatoes. These are smashed potatoes – I roast sweet potatoes in the oven, smash them with a fork and sprinkle with parmesan, and then broil for a few minutes until the tops are nice and crisp. They’re a great alternative to a sweet potato fries or a baked sweet potato when you want to switch it up.
These smashed sweet potatoes would be a great side dish to serve during the holidays if you’re looking for something a little different. I used two different colored sweet potatoes because it was pretty, but it’s totally optional. I top mine with a dollop of Greek yogurt, but they’re equally tasty without it.
What is the difference between mashed potatoes and smashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes combine boiled potatoes with usually butter and milk to make a very soft, creamy potato dish. Smashed potatoes are roasted potatoes that are lightly smashed with a fork. They are crispier and have more texture than mashed potatoes.
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
Cut the sweet potatoes into ¾-inch thick, round slices. Try to get the slices as uniform as possible so that they’ll cook in the same amount of time. Season melted butter with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, and thyme and pour over the potatoes.
Roast the potatoes for 25 minutes and then remove from the oven. Gently smash each potato with a fork, spray with olive oil, and sprinkle with Parmesan. Broil the potatoes for a few minutes until crispy and the cheese is melted.
Smashed Sweet Potato Variations
- Sprinkle with mozzarella instead of Parmesan.
- Swap the thyme for fresh rosemary.
- Omit the Parmesan and swap butter with olive oil to keep them dairy-free.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potato Brulee
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Latkes
- Turmeric Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Glaze
Savory Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Olive oil spray
- 3 long, thin sweet potatoes (10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Nonfat Greek yogurt for serving, optional
- Spray a sheet pan with olive oil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes then cut each into ¾-inch thick round slices.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme. Add sweet potatoes and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread sweet potatoes in an even layer on the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to the second from the top and switch oven to high broil.
- Using a fork, gently smash each slice.
- Spray lightly with olive oil then top each with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and return to upper middle rack of the oven.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted, and edges are crispy.
- Garnish with thyme and a small dollop of yogurt, if using.