Three Cheese Tortellini and Mushroom Soup is warm and satisfying, with tortellini in every bite. Top this with some fresh shaved Parmigiano Reggiano and you’ll experience a wonderful unami taste sensation.
Soup is the perfect one pot meal. Vegetarians can swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth (also perfect for Meatless Mondays). Using the rind from the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is optional, but if you have it I recommend using it, it adds so much depth and flavor. I’ve included Instant Pot directions along with the stove top directions.
And a little nutritional tidbit about mushrooms, courtesy of registered dietician, Heather K Jones. This veggie has achieved superfood status and with good reason. It’s loaded with important vitamins and minerals, including heart-protecting copper, B vitamins and antioxidants. These fabulous fungus come in a lot of different varieties and are very versatile.
For those of you who don’t like mushrooms, you can certainly swap them for a vegetable you like, or try this Spinach Tortellini en Brodo recipe. Enjoy!
Three Cheese Mushroom and Tortellini Soup
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth vegetable broth for vegetarians
- 2 cups water
- 5 oz shitaki mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 small Parmigiano Reggiano rind optional
- 9 oz three cheese tortellini Buitoni
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano grated (optional for topping)
- Stove top: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth, water, mushrooms, cheese rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. When broth boils, add salt (to taste) and black pepper; stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, simmer until mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes. Add tortellini and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- Once cooked, remove the rind, stir to combine and garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano if desired. Makes 12 cups.
- Press saute and melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, mushrooms and cheese rind, cook covered high pressure 10 minutes, then quick release, add the tortellini and press saute. Boil and cook according to package directions.
- Once the tortellini is cooked, remove the rind, stir to combine and garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano if desired. Makes 12 cups.