Tofu Tacos with Potatoes and Jalapeños
These vegan Tofu Tacos with Potatoes and Jalapeños are great when you want a plant-based taco that still has lots of protein.
Tofu Tacos with Potatoes and Jalapeños
Tofu is a blank slate, so I love transforming it by adding different spices. Sprinkling crumbled tofu with taco seasonings and roasting it in the oven with potatoes and jalapeños flavors the tofu. Top these healthy tacos with your favorite salsa – I love them with this avocado salsa, which I always keep on hand in my fridge. If you’re looking for more tofu recipes, try my Tofu Stir Fry with Vegetables in Soy Sesame Sauce, Spicy Sriracha Tofu Rice Bowls, and Kung Pao Tofu.
Tofu Taco Ingredients
- Tofu: Combine diced onions, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin with the tofu.
- Potatoes and Jalapeños: Coat these two taco ingredients with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Taco Toppings: Wrap the tofu and veggies in corn tortillas and top with avocado, salsa, and anything else you want, like shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, onions, lettuce, or cilantro.
How to Bake Tofu
Here’s how to bake these easy tofu tacos.
- To ensure your tofu isn’t watery, you’ll want to squeeze out all the water before baking it. The easiest way is to place the tofu on a plate lined with paper towels or a tea towel. Cover the tofu with another towel and place a heavy pan on top to press out the excess water.
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the tofu, sauce, and spices and lay on the sheet pan. Bake the tofu for 35 minutes, stirring the tray halfway through so it cooks evenly.
- Protein: Substitute black beans for tofu for another meat-free alternative or use ground turkey if you prefer.
- Potatoes: If you don’t have a russet potato, Yukon Gold or red potatoes will work.
- Jalapeños: If you want tacos with an extra kick, leave the seeds and membranes in the jalapeños or swap them for serrano peppers.
- Tortillas: Swap corn tortillas for flour tortillas.
- Avocado: Top your tacos with guacamole instead of sliced avocado.
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw, Avocado, and Cotija
- Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
- Healthy Cod Fish Tacos
- Madison’s Favorite Beef Tacos
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Tofu Taco recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!
Tofu Tacos with Potatoes and Jalapeños7
For the tofu
- 1 14 ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce, I like Kikkoman
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the potatoes and jalapeños
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium Russet potato, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, seeds and membranes removed, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces Hass avocado, sliced, from 1 small
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup your favorite salsa, store bought or homemade
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, onions, lettuce or cilantro
- Place tofu on a paper towel or tea towel lined plate. Cover with another towel and place a heavy pan on top to press out excess water from tofu.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a large sheet pan with parchment paper and spray another small sheet pan with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the onions, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin. Whisk to combine then crumble the tofu with your hands into small pieces into the mixture. Toss gently to combine and evenly coat the tofu with the sauce.
- Spread tofu in an even layer on the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Place potatoes and jalapeños in an even layer on the small sheet pan.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer both sheet pans to the oven and cook for 35 minutes, tossing halfway through and rotating pans to allow for even browning.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas (over an open flame, in a pan or in the microwave). I prefer heating mine over an open flame, covering as them as I go to keep them warm.
To assemble tacos:
- Place 2 tortillas each on 4 plates. Layer each tortilla with ½ an ounce avocado, then a layer of tofu then the potatoes and peppers.
- Top each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa and any additional (optional) toppings you desire and serve immediately.