Air Fryer Sweet Plantains (Maduros)
Air Fryer Sweet Plantains or Maduros are an easy and healthy way to make this classic Latin side dish.
Air Fryer Sweet Plantains
I grew up eating plantains every way you can imagine! Depending on the ripeness of the plantain, you’ll get different results. Mom makes them on the grill or fries them but I love making them in the air fryer! For sweet maduros, the best plantains are the ones that have black skins and tender flesh. The darker the skin, the sweeter they are, which is exactly what you want. Make these Air Fryer Maduros along with my Picadillo, Carne Bistec, or any Latin dish you like. And if you’d like to try more plantain recipes, check out my Air Fryer Tostones, Turkey Picadillo Stuffed Sweet Plantains, and Turkey Pastelón (Sweet Plantain Lasagna).
Air fried plantains are healthier than fried plantains since air frying requires a lot less oil. They are similar to bananas but with more starch. Plantains are high in carbs and contain some fiber, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A and K.
What color are plantains when ripe?
As they ripen, plantains turn from green to yellow to black, just like bananas. It’s usually hard to find ripe plantains at the grocery store. Typically, you must purchase unripe green plantains and let them ripen on the counter or somewhere warm to speed up the process. They can take anywhere from a few days to a
week to ripen.
What is the difference between tostones and maduros?
Tostones are green plantains that are fried until crispy and served as chips with dips like guacamole or salsa. I have three ways to make them: twice baked, air fried, and microwaved and baked. Maduros made from ripe plantains are soft and sweet and are served as a side dish.
How to Air Fry Maduros
Air frying sweet plantains is so easy. This recipe only has one ingredient – plantains – so the prep is minimal.
- Cut the ends off the plantain. Then with a paring knife, cut a slit along the length of the peel.
- Carefully remove the skin and place them in the air fryer.
- Spray the tops of the plantains with oil and air fry at 370° Fahrenheit for eight minutes on each side.
- Top air fryer maduros with cinnamon.
- Add melted cheese, like shredded cheddar, Monterey jack, or Oaxaca cheese.
More Latin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Latin Yellow Rice
- Arroz Congri (Cuban Rice and Black Beans)
- Turkey Pastelón (Sweet Plantain Lasagna)
- Turkey Picadillo Stuffed Plantains
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
Air Fryer Sweet Plantains4
- 2 medium extra ripe plantains, the skin should be black
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Cut the ends off the plantain then using a sharp pairing knife, cut a slit along the length to peel.
- Remove the skin carefully and transfer to the air fryer basket.
- Spray with more oil on top and air fryer 370F about 8 minutes on each side, until tender.
- Then slice them and enjoy.