Carne Bistec – Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes
Beef lovers, you’ll love this quick Colombian steak dish cooked with onions, tomatoes and cumin. The onions and tomatoes create a flavorful sauce which is wonderful served over rice. Add a salad and you’ll have a wonderful meal for under $10.
If I had to describe Latin cuisine in one word it would be flavor. My friends and family love when I cook some of the Latin dishes I grew up eating, for me those dishes are my comfort food.
You’ll find variations of this recipe in different South and Central American countries and regions. Some finely chop the tomatoes and onions, some use scallions in place of onions which is also delicious. As a kid I used to push the onions away, but now I just love them. Serve this with an egg on top and it’s called Bistec a Caballo. Have all your ingredients prepped before you start cooking.
Sirloin tip side steak is an extra lean steak with very little marbling. This cut usually needs to be marinated or cut very thin so that it won’t be tough. Here is a great reference I like to refer to often for the 29 lean cuts of beef. If your budget permits, buy grass fed beef which is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and higher in omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered heart-healthy.
Carne Bistec - Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes
- 1-1/2 lbs grass fed sirloin tip steak, sliced very thin
- salt to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- cumin to taste
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin or chopped
- 1 very large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin or chopped
- Season steak with salt and garlic powder.
- Heat a large frying pan until VERY HOT.
- Add 2 tsp of oil then half of the steak and cook less than a minute on each side.
- Set steak aside, add another teaspoon of oil and cook remaining steak.
- Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add another teaspoon of oil and add the onions.
- Cook 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add about 1/4 cup of water and simmer a few minutes to create a sauce, add more water if needed and taste adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return the steak to the pan along with the drippings, combine well and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or for a low carb option with a sunny-side up egg on top.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 3 oz steak + onions tomatoes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 182.9 calories
- Total Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 25.2g