This Boozy Watermelon Lime Granita is part cocktail, part dessert. The perfect, frozen adult treat for hot summer days.
Boozy Watermelon Lime Granita
Sweet, juicy watermelons are one of the best things about summer. I love eating watermelon by itself, but it also makes an excellent base for a fruity drink. For some more refreshing watermelon drinks, try Chia Watermelon Fresca or Watermelon Agua Fresca. And for when you want a cocktail, my Watermelon Martinis are delicious.
This Boozy Watermelon Lime Granita is part cocktail and part dessert – such a refreshing way to cool off during the hot summer. Made with just four ingredients – watermelon, lime, rum, and sugar – this watermelon ice dessert is like a grown-up slushie. If you have my first cookbook (affil link), I have a non-alcoholic version of this!
What is a granita made of?
A granita is an Italian dessert, originally from Sicily, similar to a slushie. Granitas are made of sugar, liquid and flavored with fruit. They can be eaten with a spoon or drunk through a straw. Granitas have a coarser, icier texture than sorbet.
How to make a granita
Granitas do not have to contain alcohol. To make this watermelon granita recipe, start by putting the watermelon, lime juice, rum, and sugar in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the puree into a 9” x 9” metal baking pan and freeze for about 1 1/2 hours.
Use a fork to scrape the mixture around. Put the pan back in the freezer and freeze until almost set for 1 to 2 hours. Scrape the granita again with a fork to form chunky snow-like ice crystals. Freeze and repeat scraping every hour or so until the entire mixture is frozen and shaved. Serve in martini glasses and garnish with watermelon wedges and mint.
- Sub the rum with tequila or vodka.
- You can change up the granita’s flavor by substituting the watermelon with a different fruit. Strawberry and lemon are other popular granita flavors.
- To make a non-alcoholic granita, leave the booze out!
More Watermelon Recipes You’ll Love:
- Watermelon “Pizza” with Feta and Balsamic
- Watermelon Feta Arugula Salad in Jars
- Ahi Tuna Watermelon Salad
- Grilled Peach and Watermelon Burrata Salad
- Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
Boozy Watermelon Lime Granita
- 4 1/2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2/3 cup white rum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 small watermelon wedges, for garnish
- mint leaves, for garnish
- Place the watermelon, lime juice, rum and sugar in a blender and process until smooth, then pour the puree into a 9 x 9 metal baking pan.
- Freeze for about 1 1/2 hours, then using a fork, give it a good scrape to mix everything around.
- Return the pan to the freezer and freeze until almost set, for about 1 to 2 hours. Use a fork to scrape the granita to form chunky snow-like ice crystals.
- Freeze and repeat occasional scraping until the entire mixture is frozen and shaved.
- Serve in martini glasses and garnish with watermelon wedges and mint.
- Store, covered in plastic wrap, until ready to serve.