Insalata Caprese is a simple salad of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes topped with basil and a splash of balsamic. A perfect summer appetizer or first course, especially when tomatoes are at their peak.
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 8 slices
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- 5-6 basil leaves, sliced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and fresh pepper
- Place sliced mozzarella on a large plate or platter.
- Top with tomato, olive oil, balsamic, basil, salt and pepper.